Pitching a short story?

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: Pitching a short story?

Pitching a short story?

Is there a consensus on pitching a short story?

Do you need to write a premise and a synopsis the way you do with a query letter? I ran a search but couldn't find any examples of short story pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by cinderblock View Post
    Is there a consensus on pitching a short story?

Do you need to write a premise and a synopsis the way you do with a query letter? I ran a search but couldn't find any examples of short story pitches.
    No. You submit the story in its entirety. Publishers want the whole thing before they consider it. Novels are the same. You don't query an agent or publisher about a book until it is complete. Non-fiction is a different kettle of fish.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Do the research. Where are you going to send it? A magazine? Read the mag, read their requirements, ect. What type of stories to they publish? What are they looking for?
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"If it weren't for sin, what would we write about?"

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Most of the places I've researched don't ask for a pitch, per se. Some do, but that's all they say. Pitch... nothing more, no examples, etc.

I've concocted the following for my short story...

That Time I Took Acid

Dear Editor,

Despite what the title of the story might suggest, no drugs were ingested in the making of the story, nor does it really have anything to do with drugs. Instead, the title is lifted from a remark within the story, which follows an aspiring comic who attends his very first Los Angeles open mic night. The sardonic voice of the subject warps through a narrative of wearisome events that lead to the climactic music video shoot of a mystical character by the name of Mix Spirit.