Where have all the readers gone?

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: Where have all the readers gone?

I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this, but publishing does mean seeking an audience. Thus I thought this something the author seeking readership might be interested in.**

I came across these four articles, which on balance seem to me to have merit.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opini...ticle28198236/

Where Have all the Readers Gone?
    http://ianchadwick.com/blog/where-ha...-readers-gone/

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0208/p18s04-hfes.html

Where have all the Readers gone?
    http://www.sleuthsayers.org/2016/04/...-in-which.html

** Please forgive the large type. These eyes are growing weary after many decades of reading.

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

This week, I checked 5 books out of the library. I was left wondering why they were published. I wondered why the library had bought them.

One, it turns out, had an unappealing title, a start that didn't work, and turned into a great book. Great!

So, how do I find books that are good to read? And how does anyone? And if people can't sort through a thousand books to find the few that are good to read, do we blame them for not being readers? I remember going on vacation, buying books, reading them, being relentlessly disappointed, and giving up on reading for years.

I am painfully aware that those other four books might be good for someone else. I just can't imagine it. I am painfully aware that just because a book is good for me, that doesn't mean you will like it. (And what about authors who write great books? Does the system support them? I seriously worry the answer is no.)
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmaSohan View Post
    This week, I checked 5 books out of the library. I was left wondering why they were published. I wondered why the library had bought them.

One, it turns out, had an unappealing title, a start that didn't work, and turned into a great book. Great!

So, how do I find books that are good to read? And how does anyone? And if people can't sort through a thousand books to find the few that are good to read, do we blame them for not being readers? I remember going on vacation, buying books, reading them, being relentlessly disappointed, and giving up on reading for years.

I am painfully aware that those other four books might be good for someone else. I just can't imagine it. I am painfully aware that just because a book is good for me, that doesn't mean you will like it. (And what about authors who write great books? Does the system support them? I seriously worry the answer is no.)

As if there aren't enough forums to post on in here, maybe there could be a list of book-titles, in alphabetical order, and posted under a heading of "recommended/whatever" with genre in brackets. Perhaps there is such a list but it might provide a starting point for what to read next, maybe even a basis for discussion.

Just a dither...
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ReadersWhereAd3.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	15590

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Blog Entries
    I've given up on trying the works of unproven authors as I've only ever come across three of merit from several hundred. My 'to read' list is now populated by authors who've earned my trust COUPLED with recommendations from book reviewers who have also earned my trust. 5* reviews and recommendations from other writers mean nothing, and often appear to be nothing more than 'doing a favour for a friend.' - IF you want a constant stream of honest book reviews (obviously still subjective) follow @ScarletAingeal on Twitter. - She says what she thinks, even if it's a stinker from an author she's previously exalted.
    Not available to BETA READ at present due to (reading) workload. Hidden Content

Twitter: Hidden Content

On my ninth novel, and I think I'm just starting to get the hang of this writing thing...

===

Self-promotion: a necessary tool for those who cannot find others willing to sing their praises.