Who's doing NanoWriMo for 2016?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's doing NanoWriMo for 2016?

Who's doing NanoWriMo for 2016?

Who's planning on doing it this year?

If you have already in the past, I would love your thoughts on what worked, what didn't, whether you used any NanoWriMo resources/tools, etc.

And lastly, why are you planning on doing it this year?
    Back an awesome writing app that's building the future of writing:
    Hidden Content

Finish writing that ______.
    Hidden Content

Hey there

I have done it for the last 6 years and only managed to finish it last year, was so good. I will be doing it this year although will be moving to Fantasy this time. I think for me more planning is why it worked last year and that is why I am starting planning now so that by November I will have a clear idea of where I am going. I tried to be a pantser, but I think I am better as a plotter.

I am doing it because it focuses me and gets me writing each day I hope each year it will make me more prolific after the event but it never does, maybe this year will be different

G

Quote Originally Posted by columbo1977 View Post
    Hey there

I have done it for the last 6 years and only managed to finish it last year, was so good. I will be doing it this year although will be moving to Fantasy this time. I think for me more planning is why it worked last year and that is why I am starting planning now so that by November I will have a clear idea of where I am going. I tried to be a pantser, but I think I am better as a plotter.

I am doing it because it focuses me and gets me writing each day I hope each year it will make me more prolific after the event but it never does, maybe this year will be different

G
    That's awesome! What are you doing to plan for this year? Are you setting certain types of goals? Organizing in anyway?

Also, did you end up using any of their resources last year or years previous?

(sorry for all the questions! Very curious for myself and for my own app and whether I should be building things in to help NanoWriMo users specifically)
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I intend to do it this year. I read somewhere that it's 50,000 words during the month of November (they could at least have picked a month with thirty-one days in it).
    In recent months, I have sacrificed my prose on the altar of poetry. Between now and November, I need to organise some things to clear the way for my November wordbarf. I'm an outdoor worker and often work later in summer. By early November, I have to finish earlier. Also, I want to have a major clear-out in my apartment and take another step towards becoming minimalist. I also need to write a basic outline of what I wish to include in my offering. Editing and proofreading will have to wait until December, as November will be more about quantity than quality.
    50,000 words will be a tough schedule for me, but I will do it.

Nope. I tried it last year and hated it. It just doesn't match up with the way I write - though kudos to those who knock out good stuff through it

Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge

Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror which we are barely able to endure, and are awed,
    because it serenely disdains to annihilate us.
    - Rainer Maria Rilke, "Elegy I"

Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous

C'mon everybody, don't need this crap.
    - Wham!

I tried last year but only got about 10,000 words down. A lot of things happened in November 2015 so I'm hoping this year will be less hectic and Ill be able to at least get closer to 50,000 or even reach it!

I'm thinking this year will be better if I plan ahead, which I'm starting now. Never too early!
    writer / vinyl collector

Quote Originally Posted by kellypeace View Post
    I tried last year but only got about 10,000 words down. A lot of things happened in November 2015 so I'm hoping this year will be less hectic and Ill be able to at least get closer to 50,000 or even reach it!

I'm thinking this year will be better if I plan ahead, which I'm starting now. Never too early!
    Agreed, last year was the first I managed to do it, but I struggled. Starting to plan now because I want to do it again but not struggle as much.

I admire the work that comes out of NaNoWriMo. Water for Elephants is one of my favorites. I tried NaNoWriMo for a few years. I am not interested in writing something other than my current WIP. So, it's a no-go. Lots of kudos for those who do attempt it. I would like to add that I enjoy using Novlr for writing my stories. In case anyone is interested, I think Novlr will release a promo around late October for November. I bought the $100 lifetime subscription at the time.

Hey hey, so I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I could put something on my app for NNWM for myself and others. I'm thinking something that could look like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 2.19.44 PM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	15518

I would love to run this by 1-2 people who have done it before to iterate on it and make it a helpful planning process. Anyone interested in DMing me and chatting about it?

Planning seems to be the key--thanks for all the responses so far!! PUMPED!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I am in planning mode but have been lax the last week or so. Need to start on some fleshing out of the characters and a detailed outline for the whole story. At the moment I have a start, and ending and a couple of sub plots. I really need to tie it all together and decide on how I am going to get from A to B to C.

In better shape than I was this time last year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast