Punktuation 2

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Thread: Punktuation 2

Punktuation 2

Similar to my question a couple months back:

I hear my wife yell "Calan?" but with my perception blurring and distorting, her and the dog coming to my aid fade.

This sentence looks odd to me, as where I would otherwise have a comma I have a question mark. I don't want to break the sentence up or reorder it, and I want the question mark to emphasize a questioning concern in the voice.

Does it pass muster as it is?

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

Think it needs a comma after 'but'. I'd let the q mark co-opt the comma before it. 'Aid fade' is a bit distracting, especially after 'her and the dog'.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

You need a comma before 'but'.

You can also put one after it, if you want to turn the "with my perception blurring and distorting" into a parenthetical phrase, but it isn't strictly necessary. You do need a comma before 'but', though, as it's a subordinating conjunction and a comma is required.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Thank you ppsage and Sam. Seems the sentence has more wrong with it than I was focusing on. Would the following pass muster?

Bracing on my canes and stooping, a faintness comes over me. I hear my wife yell "Calan?" and see her and dog coming to my aid, but with my perception swirling they melt away.

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

I don't see any reason to filter the shout. Faintness comes over me. "Calan?" my wife yells, coming with the dog to my aid, but they melt away into my swirling perception.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright