Server Change Up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Server Change Up

Server Change Up

We may experience about half an hour or so of downtime so that we can move to a major upgrade on our server.

After the move, things should be much faster and smoother for everyone.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Thanks for the heads up Cran.

The site was down for me yesterday afternoon for about an hour - was there any reason for that?
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

Well, it was pretty slow these days (everything else worked fine, so it's not my Internet connection).
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

You picked a good day. I'm heading out to do my laundry. If it's down when I come back, expect E-mail, Schrods
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I did have some problems yesterday accessing it... No, you expect my mail Happy laundry!
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Blog Entries
    I had a problem with the site yesterday, got a pop-up saying not available or words to that effect, can't remember what time.
    If i post a comment on a "WIP", LOOK! I'm a reader that's all, and i can only tell how i feel, as a READER, giving/offering feedback. Hoping to learn and grow here. So please, tell me where i'm going wrong.

Me? I'm just a fly on the wall.

Look! I'm trying, okay?

One can but dream, if only i had dared.

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong" Mahatma Gandhi.
    Alas, i am weak.

I must find a way to Eastbourne and i so wish that i could dance.

There was a massive (near record) spike in our server usage yesterday which caused a temporary crash of the site. That's what led our tech guru Kevin_L to go looking. With the WiredTree tech, they found that our server traffic (data exchange and system queries) was running close to the safe traffic limit on most days. The reasons for that are not entirely clear but likely include our data-rich pages and more popular longer threads which are refreshed and reloaded with every click.

It seems the transfer to the faster higher traffic allowance server package has gone through without any significant hitch.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

I might not post any of my original stuff these days [my writing brain has switched off, temporarily I hope] but I tend to panic if I cannot get WF.

Thank you Kevin_L and you Cran, for sorting everything out.

And please forgive me if I just use WF for my enjoyment without offering anything original of my own.
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.

I could make a great living selling XANAX after these kind of announcements. 30 minutes without WF...panic attack!

ETA: Just happy I saw the announcement and knew what was coming

Quote Originally Posted by TKent View Post
    I could make a great living selling XANAX after these kind of announcements. 30 minutes without WF...panic attack!
    Ahem - if WF is not available for one minute I get a panic attack! It is a major part of my life now.

[But you can keep Xanax - I take enough really necessary stuff without having to rely on tranx]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast