In case you doubt this is the place for you as a writer . . . - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In case you doubt this is the place for you as a writer . . .

I wasn't a pillar of confidence when I started here either, scubatim. But several members reached out to me and provided me with the encouragement or the cajoling I needed to get down and dirty with my writing. Not only has my writing improved (I think), but my experience with the process has as well. Do I still have sucky days? Yes! But instead of letting those moments get into my head, I find ways to work around it.

And, I can't stress these two things enough. First -- yes, you have to write through the bad to get to the good. I find that more and more as I plug away on my current WIP. Especially in key scenes that alter the course of the story or just alter the relationship between characters. I'll lay down stuff first that, on it's face, is decent. But maybe it's too long-winded for that moment and some fat needs to be trimmed. Or maybe it's not deep enough and I need to expand on it. You'll know when you get there yourself. Two -- get multiple notebooks and leave them around everywhere. For me, I have one on my nightstand, one on my desk, one pocket-sized notebook I carry on, and a bigger notebook I keep in my purse. And, yes, I can keep track of what I wrote where. It's really good for those brilliant flashes you get standing in the checkout line, waiting for your food at a restaurant, or waiting to be called back to the exam room for a doc appt.

Well, back to writing. Enjoy!
    "The passion for freedom of the mind is strong and everlasting, which is fortunate, because so is the passion to squelch it." A. M. Rosenthal

"When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt." Wes Studi as The Sphinx, Mystery Men

Blog Entries
    My jury is still out- but then I'm an introvert. I find myself lurking more than anything. I think it makes a big difference as to which one you are- extrovert vs/ introvert. Extroverts are more prolific posters, introverts are more apt to lurk.
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

I'm really hoping this forum will help too. My experience on other forums has ranged from meh to craptastic.
    From what I'm seeing, there is a lot more frequency in posting(s) which to me means that there is something a bit more productive going on than say other forums that see almost non-existent traffic. Don't let me down, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    I'm really hoping this forum will help too. My experience on other forums has ranged from meh to craptastic.
    From what I'm seeing, there is a lot more frequency in posting(s) which to me means that there is something a bit more productive going on than say other forums that see almost non-existent traffic. Don't let me down, people!
    to me, this place is the perfect balance to be helpful. i've been to writing forums with "hell traffic"...and really?
    i found some things useful there, but it was more like a competition of egos there, and back when i first wanted a writing
    forum? a competition of egos wasn't what i wanted. i had already done that competition on political forums and other
    forums. i always either won or got banned. i wanted a writing forum to help me. this one did it. it has a great selection
    of writers who either know what they're talking about, or are learning what they are talking about and coming to terms
    with it wonderfully. except for me. i'm probably the most stupid person here.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.”

dale, you are anything but stupid, but posting ever cuter pics of your daughter as your avatar is still not going to win you extra points in the challenges. Well, probably won't ... much.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

After a brief experimentation with another writing forum, I settled in here at WF because I like a good number of the people here, I get honest feedback, and my somewhat curmudgeonly ways are tolerated. But what I like best is the way this place is run (not brown-nosing here, I've been off staff for a while). There are well thought out rules (if you haven't read them yet I suggest strongly that you do) and they are applied with consistency for the greatest part. That, more than anything else, keeps the environment here a pleasure. Whatever anyone is looking for as a writer is here, be it gentle encouragement, or a swift, virtual, kick-in-the-ass. Often you'll get both. I like that.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Hey, we have almost everything here. If you're a fan of incoherent gibberish, there's a thread for that. If you like bad writing, there's a thread for that. There's a thread for almost everything about writing - but there are also moderators here that keep discussions from becoming arguments, and I like that. Building conflict in your writing is a good thing, and that's where it should stay.
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

I have been members of other forums that just simply blew goats, emus, and gerbils. Either it was full of hate mongers or just deader than a corpse rotting in the ground for the past several decades.

Yes, you will have some that rattle your chains a bit. But they are not doing it to be hateful or rain on your parade. They are doing it to help you find your mojo . . . IF you let them. That's a big part of it, right there.

And we ALL have SOMETHING going on in our lives weighing us down. Maybe it's physical/mental health issues (me!), economics (also me!), or a situation in our lives that's just really working a nerve. Don't be afraid to mention that. We may not be able to alleviate the burden itself, but perhaps we can help you find ways to channel that weight into some Honest-to-goodness quality writing.
    "The passion for freedom of the mind is strong and everlasting, which is fortunate, because so is the passion to squelch it." A. M. Rosenthal

"When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt." Wes Studi as The Sphinx, Mystery Men

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123