Broken nose? Concussion? Cracked ribs? Anyone?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broken nose? Concussion? Cracked ribs? Anyone?

Broken nose? Concussion? Cracked ribs? Anyone?

Hi all,

So my MC has had a very rough time of it lately, as you can see from my title, and what I've learned so far is that I have had a very dull/blessed life. I have NO idea how any of those injuries feel. I can surmise - they hurt! But I want to know more on an intimate level without actually having to suffer any of it.

Anybody care to share a line or two about their experiences with any of the above? I've never had a broken bone... And I will openly admit I am a BIG baby when it comes to pain ZERO pain tolerance so I could end up going way over-board on my descriptions. Just looking for some reality to go with my fiction.

Thank you!!
    TeaLynn

"Don't panic." Douglas Adams
    Hidden Content

I've never broken any bones, but did experience concussion as a kid when I fell from some play equipment.
    It was peculiar. Apparently I was knocked out for about 30 seconds - but obviously didn't find out until later. Things felt a bit hazy and I behaved a bit oddly, even swearing at my father an hour or so later (unheard of!). The next day I had partial memories of odd conversations, but no-one figured out until the next day that I had been concussed. There were a few blank spots in my memory. Surprisingly, no headache either.

Blog Entries
    All three I am afraid, and more than once at that. They all hurt but I think ribs are the worst as they take so long to heal.
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

Phil Istine - So you never really felt any pain with the concussion? More issues with memory loss.

Sonata - sorry to pester to you, was it dull pain? Sharp? Stomach rolling? did you have pain with your concussion? I really have no idea!
    TeaLynn

"Don't panic." Douglas Adams
    Hidden Content

My hand was torn apart. Nothing broken. 13 stitches in my right hand, and a story to tell the ladies. Sorry. I can't say too much about that department.

concussion and cracked ribs here. The concussion, as Phil said was more of a memory issue than any real pain from it. When I came to, I was very confused, but I was more confused as to why I felt confused. Couldn't remember how I got there or what happened. I know I kept a low-grade headache for quite awhile, and my memory slowly returned except for the moment of impact that caused the accident.

the cracked rib hurt like a mutha. Long story short. Full contact martial arts meet. Left an opening and paid for it. It hurt to sit, stand or breathe, and I thought I would die when I coughed.
    "When it feels scary to jump, that is exactly when you jump, otherwise you end up staying in the same place your whole life, and that I can't do." -Abel Morales - A Most Dangerous Year.

I had a massive concussion in my early 20s. I stood up into a stained glass/cast-iron chandelier. My knees crumpled. The impact hurt but the dizziness and exhaustion that followed led to some very odd days. I don't remember much of them other than not being able to walk straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealynn View Post
    Phil Istine - So you never really felt any pain with the concussion? More issues with memory loss.

Sonata - sorry to pester to you, was it dull pain? Sharp? Stomach rolling? did you have pain with your concussion? I really have no idea!
    That's the peculiar thing about it. I must have banged my head, but didn't feel any lingering head pain. There was some initial pain from the thud, but it was gone within a minute at most. It was more just a feeling of vagueness and everything felt weird and distant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealynn View Post
    Broken nose - hurts but not for long. It has been a long [very] time since I broke it but each time the pain was worse when coming round from the anasthaetic when it was reset. The first time they just reset it but when I jokingly said that it was a pity they were not giving me a new nose I was promised they would if I broke it again. Which I did, about a year later.

Broken ribs - hurt like hell and took ages to heal. The problem is that when I am not in my chair I have to heave myself on my crutches and my shoulders and upper arms are very weak and hurt to start with when using them, so going to the bathroom, even with rails each side and a raised seat, had me ouching like mad when getting on and then getting off the throne.

Actually everything was a nightmare. Things are difficult enough at the best of times but with broken or even just cracked ribs I really did not need the prolonged pain.

Concussion - when a head hits a stone floor, if you are not instantly knocked out you HEAR the bang it makes. Trying to get up when you are so disorientated that you do not even know where you are... then when eventually back in your chair you just sit and do not know what to do. Laying down your head just swims.

I have stone floors and too many times my head has hit the floor. Yes it hurts and I usually have a headache for a few days afterwards.

It is difficult to explain the type of pain for each thing - they are all different and all depend on the severity of the injury, and each person has a different pain thresh-hold.
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

-delete line-
    read about vestibular hyperacusis at all?
    "lost in space" with "biochemical language bypass"
    can you say neural-reroute-required? i thought you could.

Last edited by -xXx-; April 13th, 2016 at 04:17 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast