Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NaPoWriMo (2016): We're Gonne Make You Sweat

NaPoWriMo (2016): We're Gonna Make You Sweat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12CAL.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	12790

Can you feel it? All the tension over whether you can make it to the end? Because it's the final countdown to the ultimate poetic license:

NaPoWriMo(2016)
    30 poems... in 30 Days -- all through April!

For those not in the know, National Poetry Writing Month (
    NaPoWriMo) is an annual project that encourages poets to write 1 poem a day for 30 days, throughout April -- using any form, for any function.
    It's also ONE of the events taking place throughout April at Writing Forums to celebrate US National Poetry Month. We've got so much going on in a few weeks, you'll need to bring a few sweat bands!

(Full April celebration news coming soon.)

NaPoWriMo itself is a tough, committed project, and many poets fall along the wayside. So this year, to keep the daily addiction flowing and constant, without any burnout, astroannie
    will be donning the master-host gown to... guide everyone along.
    (Please note: the 'Poets Rock' badge she's also wearing isn't standard WF issue... and the horse twitch is just her personal 'I'll see you through it' promise!).
    ~
    Who's Eligible?

Everyone

Where?

Na
    PoWriMo ~ Here ~

When?
    April 1st 2016
    ~
    The Prize:

For outstanding effort and endurance,
    poets who complete the full 30 poems in 30 consecutive days will receive WF's NaPoWriMo 2016 Medal, titled:

Quotidian Poet

(Award design to be revealed on completion! Please see - here - for a full list of WF Member Awards that are awarded for outstanding contribution.)
    ~
    Rules
    Only one: 30 poems, 30 Days

~
    How to Enter?

No registration required. Anyone who posts is automatically included.
    Post Entries to: NaPoWriMo board ~ Here ~ (or) NaPoWriMo Workshop board ~ Here ~
    Post 1 new poem a day for 30 consecutive days throughout April
    ~
    We'd really love to see as many WF poets (and beyond) get involved with this project and have a lot of fun along the way. (No threats from the horse twitch, we promise! Okay... maybe promise...)

For any inquiries, please contact astroannie on the main NaPoWriMo Board, or via PM ~ here ~

Writing Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small-Blue-RGB-National-Poetry-Month-Logo.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	12791

Feather image courtesy of Pixabay
    Last edited by Aquilo; March 22nd, 2016 at 06:38 PM.
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

I've already broken out into a sweat at the thought of writing 30 poems in 30 days! This should prove a great exercise for procrastinating poets.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

i had people write random things on 30 slips of paper
    and put them in a box.
    it's my backup prompt box.
    i'm kind of afraid of using it...
    but
    shock can be motivational..
    and evoke lyrical response.
    *twitches at the thought*

I don't think I've written 30 poems in the last three years so it's going to prove an interesting exercise for me. I completed NaNoWriMo back in 2012 and it was a killer!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

have you picked a writing time frame
    and a simple form to fall back on?

there is no rule that says you can't further develop
    a piece in the future
    or
    fuse stanzas.

you.got.this!

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by -xXx- View Post
    have you picked a writing time frame
    and a simple form to fall back on?
    I was going to allow myself one hour then post what I'd written in that time-frame.
    there is no rule that says you can't further develop
    a piece in the future
    or
    fuse stanzas
    NaNoWriMo I completed the 50,000 words using stream of consciousness and resisted the temptation to edit unless there was a glaring error. I'm not sure I can apply this technique to writing poetry.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    NaNoWriMo I completed the 50,000 words using stream of consciousness and resisted the temptation to edit unless there was a glaring error. I'm not sure I can apply this technique to writing poetry.
    absolutely.
    if you have an hour
    reserve the last 15 to 30 minutes.
    stream away.
    at your time mark,
    reread what you have written.
    how does it make you feel?
    what images are in your mind?
    what words capture that most effectively?
    as you read, do you feel a rhythm,
    evocative combination of sounds
    or inherent rhyme scheme?

those are the bits most satisfying.

you.totally.got.this!

*bites nails* I 'think' more than I 'write' with poetry. Hey, i can only give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained!
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

(Pulls on Verse Mangler Cape...It flaps impressively in the air currents created by my hot air...) Turtle is not impressed, but then again, Turtle never is.

Let's do this!

When I lack inspiration I focus on an idea and then try a few forms on it. Bus Stop was going to have been a sonnet but it exploded into whatever it is that it is. The idea isn't to force a form on it, but by trying it out, you can get a feel for its size and complexity and what will fit vs what won't.

I write a lot of Really Short Stuff because I have ideas that I pare down from irregular slop into, what looks to me anyway, sleekness.

When I write longer stuff, it tends to start with a line I fall in love with--that usually doesn't survive revisioning.

I'm just going to crank out something every day. Even Great Writers have lesser works.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast