you know you're getting old when. - Page 91

Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 4181838485868788899091929394 LastLast
    When you remember the pain of heading a wet, leather, football, or remember coming to after it.

Listening to the Goon Show on the radio first time round

Post war army surplus stores with tents and sheepskin mitts

Reading the 'Swallows and Amazons' series

playing on disused allotments

a horse drawn milk cart, it had rubber tyres, unlike the rag and bone man's
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

When you start taking notice of the budget
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Words worthy of senility

I wandered ... oh er ... hills? ... I saw ... um ... golden ... ? ... ah yes ... daffodils!
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    I meant to post this, back during the movie and theater part of the discussion...

It's the old Inglewood Theater, that was about 2 blocks or so from my grandparent's house.
    I saw many a movie there, including 2001: A space Odyssey, when it first came out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inglewood theater-Grand opening April 27 1950.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	22955
    The picture here was taken just before it opened, and a while before I was born.
    I knew I was getting ( had gotten? ) old when they tore it down, a dozen or so years back, to build a pharmacy.

G.D.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

When I was sixteen We moved to Harlow New Town. Now it is just called Harlow.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

when I was sixteen
    we moved to Harlow New Town
    Now it's just called Harlow

Bee bop allulla
    Rama damma ding dong

More lyrics Olly
    The only one who can heal you is you.

I'm still blown away the had horse'n'buggy delivery. Are you sure that was the twentieth century?

In the woods of Tennessee. And no, I'm not lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I'm still blown away the had horse'n'buggy delivery. Are you sure that was the twentieth century?
    Kevin, you could still find milk being delivered by horse and buggy in places here in Tennessee all the way up through the 1950s.

As a matter of fact, we had milk delivered ( By a truck though ) by the local dairy, W.E. Davis and sons, in the early 1970s.

G.D.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; November 9th, 2018 at 10:23 PM.
    Let me be painfully clear: I do not know what the hell I'm doing with this writing thing.
    And if I suddenly start acting like I do, would somebody please punch me in the head?
    Thanks.
    G.D.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."

I remember watching out of the window as the milkman's horse mounted the pavement and ate the hedge opposite.
    Hidden Content

They've built tract homes over the dairy farms here. I don't know where our milk comes from. We don't drink it anymore. I still eat cheese and yogurt. Sort of going out of fashion, I think. They really pushed us to drink a lot of milk when I was a kid.