you know you're getting old when. - Page 110

Page 110 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1060100102103104105106107108109110111112113114 LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1133

Thread: you know you're getting old when.

Your ball bag hangs like a saddle
    The only one who can heal you is you.

You collect vintage antiques because of nostalgia. "Gee, I remember when these things came out! They were so cool..."
    "Ammonia will disinfect sin."
    --adrianhayter

"Art is life, just add bull****."
    --Chris Miller

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    You collect vintage antiques because of nostalgia. "Gee, I remember when these things came out! They were so cool..."
    Actually it's when you realise that your everyday possessions are now regarded as museum pieces by others. Yesterday I was using my electric drill bought in the early 1970s, which has inside the case a label declaring that it received a Design Centre award for its design back then. Well it certainly should have received an award for its potential durability. Many of the things that we use at home were bought during the early years of our marriage and have survived. My angel still occasionally uses an electric food whisk from those days and wonders how much longer it will last as Kenwood have stopped providing parts for that model now. I have a small table-top lathe bought in the 1960s that I still use and a photograph of my own lathe is the prominent one on the relevant page of a website dedicated to lathe model histories. I sent my photos to the owner of the site as the ones that he already had were of a machine in poorer condition and photos of both machines are now there. So, in the case of my lathe it is already in a cyberspace museum even though I am still using it. See HERE.

By the way, although the photos were taken in completely different locations, both one of mine and some of the others appear to contain the same six inch ruler as a scale. This is in fact the fabled universal six inch ruler (even if the metric side of it appears in the photos). It was once said that a true engineer always had a six inch steel ruler in his pocket, the equivalent of a clerk's pens. In fact I have never been anything but an amateur engineer when the circumstances have demanded it and my own six inch ruler has always been kept in my toolbox or on my workbench. Nevertheless I do agree that it is virtually the badge of an engineering mind with graduations down to ludicrous hundredths of an inch that I nowadays need a magnifying glass to read. At those levels I resort to using a micrometer, but that universal badge is still essential to our generation. No doubt nowadays engineers prefer to use digital calipers rather than rulers anyway.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by seigfried007 View Post
    Two words that seem to have changed in their definition considerably. When I was young people used to define 'antique' as over one hundred years old, vintage as between seventy five and one hundred years old. Now 'vintage' seems to mean 'of good quality', though I suppose it always had that implication when applied to wine, and it would not have been that old in that context, just referring to a particular year. 'Antique' seems to be almost anything old enough it is no longer in production.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

eternal life seems like a good idea...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    eternal life seems like a good idea...
    You're a whippersnapper if you think that. Old people know that life is pain. The body falls apart, everyone forgets you and moves on with their lives, everyone you know about or care about is dying around you, and you're a dry, impotent, old prune, a husk of your former greatness who can't do anything for yourself--even chew your food with your own teeth or hold your liquids in place til you're good and ready to release them--and you just want it all to end. You know you're old when life sucks, and you're looking into that afterlife thing after all. Old age sucks and isn't for the faint of heart.

Last edited by seigfried007; August 15th, 2019 at 04:52 PM.
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller

When you're trying to keep up with new definitions for old words like "sick" and hack" and "wonk." Or is that last one a new word? Usually by the time I see these on the "net" kids have probably gone on to something else so there's even newer words for the same thing and these terms are obsolete. is there new term for "geezer alert?"
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

With 110 pages, this one has probably been used multiple times- but.
    You know you're getting old when you need to stop writing for the day because your fingers and getting too stiff. Here comes the arthritis.

....when the thought of a life sentence just isn't much of a deterrent, anymore. LOL
    Her: I love my computer! All of my friends are in there!
    Me: Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about my freezer...
    Her: What?
    Me: What?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    ....when the thought of a life sentence just isn't much of a deterrent, anymore. LOL
    ...when "til death do you part" ain't much of a deterrent either.

...when a death sentence not only isn't a deterrent but might actually be thought of as "felonies with benefits"
    --adrianhayter

--Chris Miller