February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge - Scores! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge - Scores!

Congrats to the winners! A huge thank you to our judges and host! So close, yet so far. The feedback is always much appreciated.
    "When it feels scary to jump, that is exactly when you jump, otherwise you end up staying in the same place your whole life, and that I can't do." -Abel Morales - A Most Dangerous Year.

congrats to the winners. Thanks to the judges, to kilroy and astro and all who made this possible.

I choked, came in last, let me tell you it stings, but I learned a few things along the way, which is good. I still like my story although flawed, I'll work on that . In my gut I knew it lack an imaginative flair, need to go back to the drawing board. Rejection only make me work harder thanks again...
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

Well, if it helps, Bob, I liked it

Anyway, this was a tough challenge to judge. It goes without saying that some pieces will be better liked by some judges than others. I didn't judge as high on the top two entries as the others for example. Then again I scored higher on a couple that didn't fare as well.

In any event, congrats again to Inks and Terry and also to M. Cull for his strong entry. The two I gave my highest score on just missed so I want to give a shout out to Allysan and Jenthepen for their entries. You can check my scores for my thoughts there.

And kudos to everyone for entering. These were all good pieces.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Hey Ink, I'm so glad you won! I really liked your story! And it would be unfair to win both this and People's Choice Award, right?

I wanna thank participants, and judges - it wasn't easy to judge so many entries!

Thank you, and Good Night!

Well, actually, it's morning... Five more minutes, Ma!
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post

And kudos to everyone for entering. These were all good pieces.
    Suck up I know mah entry wasn't good, and you don't have to be afraid to tell the truth!
    Je suis Charlie.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

If y'all wanna know what my title means (because it's in Latin), it's "Negative energy". 1000 words was too short...
    Je suis Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by rcallaci View Post
    I choked, came in last, let me tell you it stings, but I learned a few things along the way, which is good. I still like my story although flawed, I'll work on that . In my gut I knew it lack an imaginative flair, need to go back to the drawing board. Rejection only make me work harder thanks again...
    It's a whole different level when you're mixing it with the cream of the past year's challenge writers plus a few top shelf ring-ins. Mostly, what hurt yours is what usually hurts yours - missed Spags. The uncertainty of a captain behaving like a sergeant or vice versa did throw me and should be reconciled. As usual, the strength in your piece is the idea itself and your imagining of the setting. Yes, it was a review scene, the meat of the story is the why we are here, not the what we are going to do about it; that's for the next chapter.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Congratulations to the winners!

In hindsight, I probably should have waited for the results before spending the prize money ...

Cran

thanks- I will redo my piece - a nice challenge- Aside from spag (I need to pay extreme attention in that area) I do see where I went wrong-Too much review, little action and confusing characterizations, and other annoying little things. I can't wait to redeem myself

Mr mustard- what can I say but that you have good taste really I'm glad my piece had some merit- the bones were there but the meat was lacking....

my warmest
    bob
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

Quote Originally Posted by InkwellMachine View Post
    This is an amazing feeling. I believe it marks the first time I've ever received any kind of payment for my writing. How 'bout that?
    Get use to it, sir. It won't be the last time cash crosses your palm for writing. Congratulations on the win. Your story was impeccably written, deep, complex, and, most importantly, a story. I knew it was the winner when I read it the first time. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by rcallaci View Post
    No choking here, Bob. All the stories were solid, but use that sting, and keep writing.

Thanks to everyone who put in such a huge amount of work on this contest. Thanks to the judges (sorry about the language Mr. Mustard ) what a stressful job that is. Thanks to the sponsors, and thanks to all the contestants who made this such a great competition.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast