February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL! - Page 9

View Poll Results: Which Grand Fiction story do you like best?

Voters
22. This poll is closed
  • The Coward's Way Out

2 9.09%
  • Countdown To Oblivion

1 4.55%
  • The Place

5 22.73%
  • The Crossing

0 0%
  • The Case Of The Angry Wife

2 9.09%
  • Kimari's Heart

2 9.09%
  • Like Snuffing Out A Candle

5 22.73%
  • Morning Glory

0 0%
  • The Goat Farm

1 4.55%
  • Impossible Cat And The Skunk Of Freedom

1 4.55%
  • Dead By Dawn

1 4.55%
  • Desperate Times

1 4.55%
  • Dawn

0 0%
  • Infitialis Navitas

0 0%
  • Musiques Nocturnes

1 4.55%
  • Fighting Back

0 0%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL!

Geez, is everyone here that impatient?

Seriously, for the main three main prose competitions I think one like we just did for February is a good idea. Picking out favorites like we have done I do not believe would sway the judges. From my experience here the judges may be harsh, but always fair. I also think going back to original intention on the informal discussion threads is a good idea.

The main poetry contest I think was improved by making it a blind vote; however, it's still a popularity contest (and there's nothing wrong with that). I've seen winners there that still need a lot of work and some I have no clue about. One reason I like the PIP contest is because we get feedback. I assume there is nothing keeping anyone who wants feedback from putting their work in a workshop after the competition, though I rarely see it (could be, like me, other things come up that are more important).
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

I found this to be a humbling experience

I really like two stories in this challenge-"the cowards way out" and the 'Goat farm" both of these had an impact on me. I had to choose between the two, a tough decision because I liked them both in equal measure- two different genres- I chose the 'cowards way out-My reasons for this was that I have been doing a kind of SI-Fi of late, although horror, fantasy and the odd is more my thing, so the coward's way it it was. Both outstanding stories.

One was about hope never dies and the other was about tender meat is a treat
    Nature weeps, the devil sings
    at mans greed and pride
    and what it brings

Just lots of useless
    little things

I looked back again at the ones that didn't get votes, and a few were at least as good as ones that got more than one vote. I agree with Bob, it is humbling - and difficult, even just to put down "likes." The judges comments are going to be very interesting.
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

I have decided not to vote. I carried out a pretty thorough scoring regime and ended up with a three-way tie. I could do a random draw for those three, but I feel that it might be disrespectful for the two that weren't drawn.
    I can't split them.
    Thank you for an enjoyable read everyone.

At the end of this thing, we can't help but recall some wise words a recent winner of the LM said -
    The remarkable value the LM competitions hold for me is achieved when my submission is complete.
    If our story has been read, analyzed, scored poorly or scored well, the primary value is in its very existence as a completed piece of work. For us personally, seeing at least a single vote in this thread exceeds our expectations and warms our blackened heart.

We wish all of our compatriots the best of luck and eagerly await the results of this contest.

I did vote, though I won't tell you for what since I'm one of the judges. I also found out I missed one of the entries so I had to send Annie a revised score sheet to add the missed entry. A thousand pardons and I assure you all that I only added the scores of the missed entry. The original scores on the others remain the same.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    I did vote, though I won't tell you for what since I'm one of the judges. I also found out I missed one of the entries so I had to send Annie a revised score sheet to add the missed entry. A thousand pardons and I assure you all that I only added the scores of the missed entry. The original scores on the others remain the same.
    Hmm, we thought Kilroy was running this extravaganza. Must be a team effort. Cool!

Wow, it's a tie. Didn't see that coming...
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Quote Originally Posted by Cran
    These things get raised quietly from time to time, but too often get set aside as everything else needs doing. This might be a good time to open up the discussion and get a sense of what our participating members and challenge organisers feel would best serve into the future.
    We'd like to see a softening on the position, ourselves. Having been banned on occasion for the simple act of clicking the 'like' button, perhaps the influence of popular opinion on judges' impartiality is slightly overblown. Our judges do a great job and seem to always remain fair when considering the work.

Allowing likes and discussion seems reasonable moving forward, don't you think? If there's one thing we desperately need to preserve in these challenges, it's sustained participation.

Honestly, I think if a judge is swayed by the Likes then they maybe shouldn't be judging.

HOWEVER, the Likes can influence the people who haven't submitted yet....so not Liking an entry until after the challenge closes to new entries is ENTIRELY appropriate.
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!