February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL! - Page 7

View Poll Results: Which Grand Fiction story do you like best?

Voters
22. This poll is closed
  • The Coward's Way Out

2 9.09%
  • Countdown To Oblivion

1 4.55%
  • The Place

5 22.73%
  • The Crossing

0 0%
  • The Case Of The Angry Wife

2 9.09%
  • Kimari's Heart

2 9.09%
  • Like Snuffing Out A Candle

5 22.73%
  • Morning Glory

0 0%
  • The Goat Farm

1 4.55%
  • Impossible Cat And The Skunk Of Freedom

1 4.55%
  • Dead By Dawn

1 4.55%
  • Desperate Times

1 4.55%
  • Dawn

0 0%
  • Infitialis Navitas

0 0%
  • Musiques Nocturnes

1 4.55%
  • Fighting Back

0 0%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL!

Well, my system of voting is...
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    The People's Choice doesn't have to be impartial -- in face it should probably not be. It is strictly a popularity contest. Just like in the real world, the best written, most thoughtful, books aren't all best-sellers. Don't worry about being fair, just pick one you like a vote for it. The judges will hand the rest of the stuff.
    Nah, I wouldn't feel okay if I did. Fairness and justice is very important to me
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Blog Entries
    Gee wiz folks. I was simply wondering if I should have been more subjective or simply vote for the one I liked. (As I did before I asked)

I read them all and enjoyed them, I had a hard choice of which was my favorite. (Of course I cannot say which because that could or would influence others) Anyway two were close with a tight third, a fourth was trying to poke its self into my thoughts but I, well you who have read my writing and understand my intimacy might be able to guess which I liked best.

What I find disturbing, is with 1101 active members why there are only 12 votes, which is less than the number of stories to be judged by the people.
    My friends and family call me Bill, you may also.Hidden Content

When people meet people,
    Potential Strangers, Acquaintances, Friends.

When dogs meet people,
    Potential Friends, Acquaintances, Strangers.

I would rather be the Dog.

It takes only,
    A second to meet,
    A moment to know,
    A Lifetime to forget.

A word without thought can destroy.
    Please remember to think before you speak.

I expect that folks are busy reading the stories and will be voting when they are done

In your pocket, stealing your pocket lint.
    Unfortunately, I think most people will look through the titles, pick out the ones that feel the most promising, and read those. That's a pretty common way to choose which book/story to read when you have literally no background for any of them. That and cover art, but we don't have that luxury.
    "Abandon the idea that you are ever going to finish. Lose track of the 400 pages and write just one page for each day, it helps. Then when it gets finished, you are always surprised." --John Steinbeck

I would think it's pretty common, and makes sense that si-fi writers may like si-fi stories best, fantasy writers may like fantasy stories best, an so forth. I've often wondered about that, because of my experience as a judge - so I really do try to be objective. Sometimes it's hard on a genre I'm not familiar with, but as my experience judging other genres increases it gives me a broader perspective.
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

It's true, I voted for one of the other sci-fi stories. There's an element of luck to having lots of voters who like your genre, but you still have beat the other stories of that type.

HC

Blog Entries
    I will say this I am not a fan of horror. Though I do not mind some horror movies, I do not get into the blood and guts. (Hmm I think I should have wrote that in my interview)

The one time I tightened my belt and judged, I found myself wanting to dump a story for its genre rather than if it was done well or not and what SPaG I could discern. I found myself challenged to choose the correct scores for the piece based on the right reasons.

Judging is not simply saying this story was good based on it being a Lassie story, where this one failed because it was a Freddy Crouger, and this one was between because it was Star Wars/Star Trek ish. When judging the CoF One must compare each piece to the fire starter, Then decide how well the piece held, followed or supported, or even differed from the fire starter. On top of the SPaG, tone/voice, and effect.

People's choice, I do realize, is which piece hit it home fore ME.

Take a guess which one, and I will tell you at the relieving of the awards.
    My friends and family call me Bill, you may also.Hidden Content

When people meet people,
    Potential Strangers, Acquaintances, Friends.

When dogs meet people,
    Potential Friends, Acquaintances, Strangers.

I would rather be the Dog.

It takes only,
    A second to meet,
    A moment to know,
    A Lifetime to forget.

A word without thought can destroy.
    Please remember to think before you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluralized View Post
    Eh?
    revealing
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright