February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL! - Page 4

View Poll Results: Which Grand Fiction story do you like best?

Voters
22. This poll is closed
  • The Coward's Way Out

2 9.09%
  • Countdown To Oblivion

1 4.55%
  • The Place

5 22.73%
  • The Crossing

0 0%
  • The Case Of The Angry Wife

2 9.09%
  • Kimari's Heart

2 9.09%
  • Like Snuffing Out A Candle

5 22.73%
  • Morning Glory

0 0%
  • The Goat Farm

1 4.55%
  • Impossible Cat And The Skunk Of Freedom

1 4.55%
  • Dead By Dawn

1 4.55%
  • Desperate Times

1 4.55%
  • Dawn

0 0%
  • Infitialis Navitas

0 0%
  • Musiques Nocturnes

1 4.55%
  • Fighting Back

0 0%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 - Grand Fiction Challenge READER'S CHOICE POLL!

I'm getting more of a Jeff-Bridges-in-the-Big-Lebowski vibe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Naaaaah. It's this guy:

Attachment 12223

(Note: That's actually me!)
    Where's the pointy ears?
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by HarperCole View Post
    I'm getting more of a Jeff-Bridges-in-the-Big-Lebowski vibe ...
    But dude, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    “On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed all the prices of ale. And on her behind, for the sake of the blind, was the same only written in braille"

"Ambiguity is one of the greatest faults in a craft. It comes from vague ambitions. One may inspired by good ambitions, but the immediate concern of the craftsman is to know what he is capable of doing at present; and to do it."
    - Edward Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy214 View Post
    But dude, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
    .... and we know what they say about THOSE ...
    Dream big, fight hard, live proud!

Everyone at work calls me Al Borland:

I always thought I had a bit of a Billy Mays vibe as well (may he rest in peace!):

If you ever need a second set of eyes on your work, PM me for a critique! I'm happy to help Hidden Content

>shrugs< I don't know. An eye-patch, some baby oil sheen, extensive plastic surgery ... and he's the spitting image of Snake.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrody View Post
    What if someone wins 1st place and People's Choice Award?
    A parade through Forumtown ... and a damn fine lynching, probably.

It's not usual for judges and people to agree. It happens, but it's not usual.

It will be much more difficult with such a large spread of entries and a small voter population with one vote per. Unless there is a common standout (which I don't see), there could well be ties at each step, and a possible run-off vote of the first tier ties to determine a winner.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Is it considered unethical to vote for myself? I mean.. It's unlikely that anyone else will do it at this point and I'm craving an ego boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Allysan View Post
    Is it considered unethical to vote for myself? I mean.. It's unlikely that anyone else will do it at this point and I'm craving an ego boost.
    People have been banned for such things.

Just give it time - there are lots more people coming to vote. Right?

Seems like this would have been a perfect place for the three-vote system like the poets do.

It's not only unethical, it's against the rules and it can get you disqualified.

Look, the first time I entered a challenge there were fewer entries (seven I think) and you could vote on your favorite three entries. Do you know how many votes I got? Absolutely zero. Talk about dejection

This time there are fifteen entries and you can only vote for one so it won't be surprising that some end up with zero votes. It doesn't mean it sucks. It only means you weren't any particular voter's favorite. The one I especially like hasn't gotten any votes yet either (I'm not sure if I'm voting yet since I'm a judge anyway), so, really, don't feel bad.
    Last edited by mrmustard615; February 20th, 2016 at 12:10 PM.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Pluralized View Post
    Just give it time - there are lots more people coming to vote. Right?

Seems like this would have been a perfect place for the three-vote system like the poets do.
    Yes, it would have been, but the organisers didn't pursue that option. So we'll get a skewed vote this time around. It's come from that concept of one person/one vote, although it's not actually how people vote in Oz. We vote either individual or pre-set preferences, and that's with a sample size of millions. Maybe next time they'll come on board and we can get a truer reflection of the people's choice.

We want to get the word around, encourage as many members as possible to come in and vote. Our patter masters and influence peddlers are our best chance for that.

Only here. In the real world, it's quite OK, and electoral candidates do it all the time. Here, it's seen as selfish.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.