Duct Tape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duct Tape

Duct Tape

Duct Tape

The other morning our plumbing backed up. Since this has happened more than once, we assumed we had a blockage - and since our little burg doesn’t have a plumber (and our fiduciary situation was tight anyway) I plunged right in (pun intended).

Fortunately, we have a clean out plug under the trailer, so I pulled back the lower panels and unscrewed the plug. Sure enough, the line was full of toilet paper and, er, sludge.

So I got out our trusty “snake,” a 100ft long flat piece of steel about an inch wide, and started plunging. Of course, I got sewer water in my mouth (phippdt!) while kneeling in an inch of shit water as it poured out of the hole. Before long, I had it all over me. My wife asked if I was having problems, I sputtered that I was having trouble getting the snake through the hole. She said that I always did have problems with holes.

Low blow! Low blow!

She was lucky I didn’t throw some crap at her. I pushed and I pulled and twisted the snake, a couple of times it snapped back at me, knocking my cap off and splashing me with more shit water. I finally figured out that the clog was from the plug to the alley, but I wasn’t making much progress. The snake had a “head” the shape of a ball, which would have helped, but it was too big for the plug hole. I was using the other end, which was sliding through the clog.

In an unusual fit of serendipity, I used duct tape around the “tail” end, wrapping it around a piece of foam I had in my tool shed. It fit the hole (no more wifely comments). I shoved the thing through the pipe almost the whole length of the snake. It worked. We flowed again.

Another use for that wonder of modern technology, duct tape!

I was so (bleeping) tired though. I can imagine the sight of a 72 year old man bent over under the trailer covered in shit must have been a sight. Luckily my wife didn’t have her camera phone, I would have been a hit on YouTube.

"Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

Thanks for the laugh...So what you're saying is that you made a condom for your snake to get the shit hole un-plugged...Not bad for a 72 year old guy who has problems with holes :}

Blog Entries
    Ahhh. The joys of DIY. I'll refrain from any crappy puns...
    Oops.
    Opportunities abound! Land and titles available! Be bold! Enquire now!
    See Cazique Gregor MacGregor of details.

more of an anecdote then a comedy piece - which gives it a bit of leeway, to be grounded
    rather than fanciful or particularly funny.

the final image, of the narrator covered in sewage is the genuinely funny payoff - but only because it is true.
    which is fine - if it works.

cheers
    Ned

Blog Entries
    You deserve an applause for doing all that though.
    Thanks for sharing this!

"We will all laugh at gilded butterflies."

"Sometimes I can feel my bones straining
    under the weight of all the lives I'm not living."
    Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief:
    and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Thanks, I realize that "funny" is different for everyone - and of course it wasn't funny to me at the time.
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightpoet View Post
    Thanks, I realize that "funny" is different for everyone - and of course it wasn't funny to me at the time.
    Of course. I would probably cast a spell on every living thing if that happened to me.

"We will all laugh at gilded butterflies."

"Sometimes I can feel my bones straining
    under the weight of all the lives I'm not living."
    Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief:
    and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Blog Entries
    Do you have any idea how many people are convinced it is called Duck Tape?
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

Actually, there's a brand of it over here actually called "Duck Tape."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

This has put a smile on my face. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast