'Ghost in the Shell' trailer (NSFW) - 3D/VFX/compositing project

Thread: 'Ghost in the Shell' trailer (NSFW) - 3D/VFX/compositing project

'Ghost in the Shell' trailer (NSFW) - 3D/VFX/compositing project

Hello! For the last few weeks my class has been working on a "trailer" for Ghost in the Shell. We filmed and did all the 3D and VFX work ourselves and we're all students so it has a few "still learning" kinda moments. It was lots of fun though.

I did the shot with the half cyborg hanging from those metal plates, when she lifts her head. And by "she" I mean "me." We all had to be actors too. It actually kinda sucks though! Cause if we could hire actors and people to light the scenes and stuff like that, we'd have much better material to work with. They kinda just force us to be costume designers, photographers and all kinds of stuff when really we're all there to learn VFX.

So anyways, I sculpted myself a pair of 3D cyborg boobs. It's kinda embarrassing how I always giggle when I say that. But gosh matching live-action shots to 3D renders is ridiculously difficult, even after all that compositing it still looks a bit awkward. We filmed my head in a kinda weird light so I couldn't get the render of the body to match very well.

You can also spot me lying on that table, getting brain surgery from a machine. My teacher says I'm a decent actor so long as my instructions are limited to "lie still" and "lift your head."

For the 3D nerds: I sculpted the body in Zbrush, then meshed the rest in Cinema4D (the insides, wires and the huge hairdryer-looking thing). I'm starting to get the hang of Substance Painter so I made the body texture there, then rendered in Cinema (though their SSS kinda sucks). All compositing is done in AfterEffects.

Wow. Wow. Wow! Nice boobs! Haha! Seriously though, this was amazing! I have never worked with any of this technology. Makes me wish I was younger and didn't have so many hobbies already Great job!

I echo TK's wows!!!
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

That's... really amazing!!! Stunning trailer! How long did it take you put all of this together?
    Running on Id, no Ego or Super-ego at the helm

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TKent View Post
    Wow. Wow. Wow! Nice boobs! Haha! Seriously though, this was amazing! I have never worked with any of this technology. Makes me wish I was younger and didn't have so many hobbies already Great job!
    Thank you! Haha yes, I've had that feeling a lot lately. I wish there were three of me so one could focus on this, one could focus on drawing and another on writing. Or that life was twice as long. Or that I didn't need to sleep and could do stuff at night. Though... that might just lead to even more re-watching Orange Is the New Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I echo TK's wows!!!
    Thank you!! ;-;

Quote Originally Posted by Aquilo View Post
    That's... really amazing!!! Stunning trailer! How long did it take you put all of this together?
    Thank you so much! It took us 5 weeks, but I guess most of the VFX work started about... 2 weeks in maybe? First there's 3D modelling, planning, filming, re-filming and all that crap. We probably should have collaborated with the film class. At least we got the music class to join though, I really love the song they made.

Blog Entries
    Was kinda cool. The best part was your cyborg body looking up at the camera.

Double thumbs up. Five weeks isn't so bad. I can tell there wasn't a 'film' crew per say, but it was entertaining nonetheless. And neat. Very neat.

Quote Originally Posted by kbsmith View Post
    Was kinda cool. The best part was your cyborg body looking up at the camera.

Double thumbs up. Five weeks isn't so bad. I can tell there wasn't a 'film' crew per say, but it was entertaining nonetheless. And neat. Very neat.
    Thanks! Yea we had this guy from an Australian school visit, and he talked about how they always hired actors and a film crew for these types of projects. He said his students can't show their best work if the material they're working with isn't good, and it's so true.

Very slick and professional looking. To be hyper-critical, I think you can tell that the famous boobs are of a different make from the head and neck, and that the shot-away bit of wall is likewise a bit of 3D modelling - but the way the images fit with the music is extremely effective. I don't know how difficult it is to get into the industry, but I should think you and your classmates ought to be able to walk into jobs, with this level of expertise at your fingertips.

Blog Entries
    I think this is well done and looks great. Two points perhaps

1. I love the graphics, but there is no dialogue. You don't want anything cheesy or cliche, because that's already a big problem with action film. But you do want to give some action through dialogue I think. I don't really get what the film is about, though it does look super cool. For example, when the girl shoots around the wall, because there is just music, and no sound from the guns, it looks odd and forced. But if we heard the scene, I think it could work. You could mix dialogue and the simply music. Maybe make sure you do that in the official trailer.
    Check out my writing and other stuff
    Hidden Content
    Also check out my new wine blog, J'adore le Vin
    Hidden Content
    YouTube and Twitter page to come soon