More moist vs moister - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More moist vs moister

humid 1. [hyoo-mid or, often, yoo-] adjective

containing a high amount of water or water vapor; noticeably moist: humid air; a humid climate.
    There is nothing in the definition that states how it feels to humans.

100% humidity is either rain or fog.

Must it be raining when the humidity reaches 100%?
    -IRI/ LDEO Climate Data Library iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/.../humidity.html

It just means that the air is holding as much moisture as it can at a given temperature, in the form of water vapor, which is an invisible gas. However, near 100% relative humidity, you can get water vapor condensing into very small water droplets to form clouds, including fog near the surface.

Lisa was busy making lunch when she noticed changes in the atmosphere. It was cooler and more moist.

Lisa said “Robin. I think we better have our lunch inside. Rain is coming.”
    Sometimes the correct written word doesn't sound 'right' when spoken. In such cases I just rewrite till it sounds right.

Lisa was busy making lunch. A cold, wet breeze brushed her face. Pausing, she looked up and noticed the air was misty.

Blog Entries
    I do not think "A cold, wet breeze" sounds right, as if it was wet it would already be raining. I would say

Lisa was busy making lunch. A cold, damp breeze brushed her face. Pausing, she looked up and noticed the air was misty.

If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    I do not think "A cold, wet breeze" sounds right, as if it was wet it would already be raining. I would say

Merely a suggestion. But I do like your substitution of wet with damp. Nicely done.

I hope I get the chance to read the completed story.

Blog Entries
    Whether it is grammatically correct or not, if a word draws too much attention to itself due to being unusual, or grammatically controversial, then it is distracting the reader from the subject-matter by causing a pause and ponder. So based on that alone a word should automatically be replaced. Unless of course our intention isn't to distract the reader but to draw attention to the word for some relevant purpose.

There is no such word.

It is "more moist".
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

It all starts with a name and flows from there. A ridiculous moniker springs to mind and it launches like a multi-lubed slippery-sloop down chutes made of buttery-floops. Down, down, down. We watch, spellbound. Rapturous. Glockenspiel. We do our due diligence with penitence and penicillin. Do what’s due, then dew drops on your moon-pops.

Damn me for being from the English Colonies

it is moist outside. Depending which part of our country that varies from a few spits on a summers day to torrential rain as a gross understatement.

it is getting moist outside is a valid saying here as is it is not as moist as it was earlier

to me and again culture underpins things here

moist is a state not necessarily an absolute state but, therefore its approaching or retreating from being moist rather than two times moist is moister. The moister dog does not hunt in these part

final example. "Its getting moist out. Do you want to run the dog ?

No mate it is a bit too wet now. Lets look at it a bit later"
    We are the measure of all things. And the beauty of our creation, of our art is proportional to the beauty of ourselves of our souls. Jonas Mekas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12