Which should I use?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Which should I use?

  1. #1

    Which should I use?

    I have two sets of lyrics that I wrote. They're both posted on this site. The question is, which one should I use for my composition/arranging class?

    In Another Life

    I Thought You Should Know
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

  2. #2
    Before diving into the lyrics, can you summarise what the class is about and what you or the class are looking to achieve by this exercise?

    Then, can you tell my why you chose these two examples, what each brings to the table towards achieving the purpose?
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

    Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

    "Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

    If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.





  3. #3
    'In Another Life' resonated with me better than 'I thought you should know'.

    I wish I could back up that statement by saying why.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cran View Post
    Before diving into the lyrics, can you summarise what the class is about and what you or the class are looking to achieve by this exercise?

    Then, can you tell my why you chose these two examples, what each brings to the table towards achieving the purpose?
    It's a one person class where I am the student. It is a composition/arranging class -- I choose some lyrics and turn them into a song. For 3 voices. My plan is guitar and two singers or guitar/bass/singer, depending on what advice I get from my instructor. I grew up singing folk and country and so those are more natural for me. If I take a second semester, I'll try something out of my comfort zone, but this will already be a challenge.

    Why those? Because my other stuff posted here already has melodies and these do not. And they're mine--no issues with copyright or fair use or whatever. My other option is to find some public domain poem and set it to music. A lot of folks I know have done Kipling, so it's not the worst option, but I'm on the lazy side and don't want to go looking if something I have in hand will do the job.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    'In Another Life' resonated with me better than 'I thought you should know'.

    I wish I could back up that statement by saying why.
    Thanks. I think it's more pop-ish and that may be why.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    It's a one person class where I am the student. It is a composition/arranging class -- I choose some lyrics and turn them into a song. For 3 voices. My plan is guitar and two singers or guitar/bass/singer, depending on what advice I get from my instructor. I grew up singing folk and country and so those are more natural for me.
    OK. So you have to write the music - the whole tadpoles dancing on power lines bit - and arrange it for vocals and/or instruments? Wow. That's a whole 'nother world from where I lived.

    The lyrics could fit just about any genre, although folk, country, and blues tend to be more welcoming to the love rejected or love remembered stories. Neither seem to have a clear chorus for easy retention.

    I thought you should know - you originally had some blues idea for that one.

    In Another Life - also comes across as a bit bluesy, but could work in just about any sound.

    What access do you have to the musos? Could you jam some ideas?

    Why those? Because ... they're mine--no issues with copyright or fair use or whatever ... I'm on the lazy side and don't want to go looking if something I have in hand will do the job.
    Agreed.



    Often underrated, the lazy hand job.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

    Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

    "Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

    If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.





  6. #6
    I have about 2 weeks to decide. I figured asking around would be the best option. Despite what I said above, I'm going to look at old-dead-guy poetry in the hopes of finding something.

    ETA: I started a thread in Poetry Discussions about finding public domain poetry.
    Last edited by astroannie; January 23rd, 2016 at 09:05 PM.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

  7. #7
    in another life for me.....it sounds like it could be a gritty,heavy piece
    The only one who can heal you is you.




  8. #8
    Creative Area Specialist (Fiction) Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario.
    Posts
    2,243
    I would go with 'In another life'. It represents a more universal life experience and would be a more straightforward piece as a teaching tool.
    I was fighting with temptation but I didn't want to win.
    A man like me don't like to see temptation caving in.
    Leonard Cohen

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I would go with 'In another life'. It represents a more universal life experience and would be a more straightforward piece as a teaching tool.
    I'm the student, not the teacher. But I see what you mean about being more relatable.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    Robert G. Allen

  10. #10
    Creative Area Specialist (Fiction) Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario.
    Posts
    2,243
    Quote Originally Posted by astroannie View Post
    I'm the student, not the teacher. But I see what you mean about being more relatable.
    I don't think it matters whether you are teacher or student; a more universal theme is best in a teaching/class situation because a more specific or complex one will leave at least some students on the outside from step one.
    I was fighting with temptation but I didn't want to win.
    A man like me don't like to see temptation caving in.
    Leonard Cohen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.