Contracted Form Quibble - Page 2

Read our latest author interview on Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contracted Form Quibble

Clutter is the disease of American writing. We are a society strangling in unnecessary words, circular constructions, pompous frills and meaningless jargon.
    What a wonderful piece of tautology for a condemnation of tautology. Keep the basics:-

"American writing is cluttered with words; circular constructions, frills and jargon."

and even if the jargon is not meaningless, and the frills are for deception rather than aggrandisement, they are still included; less is more.

Also, absolute statements like this always ring alarm bells for me, they are rarely true, some American writing is pretty laconic. Making it 'Much', or even 'Most American writing ...' is only 'one word for the sentence, but a huge leap for accuracy.'
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    OMG Book Cook, you are so right. I had noticed the 'keep it simple' attitude in the book but had not considered it as indoctrinating.

He could add the line as a sub title- "Indoctrinating Writers to keep it simple"
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12