A brilliant, detailed post on the process of publishing

Thread: A brilliant, detailed post on the process of publishing

A brilliant, detailed post on the process of publishing

http://www.tor.com/2016/01/13/winds-...shing-process/

It focuses on the question of how GRRM could get WoW published in three months, but along the way explains pretty much everything there is to know about what happens to a book on its way to publication.

Grantham, Lincolnshire - home of Isaac Newton and some woman whose name I've forgotten
    Hello Caragula

This is useful information - but - it doesn't help me at all getting my work onto the desk of a publisher.

Peters and Waterman did it with In Search of Excellence by privately printing 5000 copies of this non-fiction work and distributing these to the entire client list of McKinsey & Co. This provided them with enough advance publicity to come to the attention of potential publishers.

Now since I have neither the funds to print 5000 copies of my work, I have no immediate access to a list of any kind and my work is fiction, I'm not in a position use the model these authors did.

So the musical question is how did George R.R. Martin get his script from his desk to his publisher's?

All the best with your writing.

Warmest regards
    Riis
    All writing is practise for the writing that follows.
    If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
    If you like intelligent contemporary conspiracy thrillers, you may want to check out The Bureau of Happiness
    Hidden Content

Hi Riis, it certainly doesn't help you get your work in front of a publisher. That isn't the point of the article, which is what happens to the manuscript after the deal is struck. GRRM gets Winds of Winter into a publisher because he has one and he's GRRM. I'm not sure what he did before he got his first publishing deal. Probably looked for an agent.

I'd read that article already. Really informative!

Quote Originally Posted by Caragula View Post
    http://www.tor.com/2016/01/13/winds-...shing-process/

It focuses on the question of how GRRM could get WoW published in three months, but along the way explains pretty much everything there is to know about what happens to a book on its way to publication.