Abandoned Groups

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned Groups

Thumbs up Abandoned Groups

Personally, I would like to see more groups become active and flourishing in 2016. We have so much potential as a community with exceptionally bright (other than the questionable) members. I believe it's possible to rekindle groups for productive engagement. Why has the participation and contribution in groups diminish over the years? As a new member, this was one of my major concerns. I like groups. They're essentially online clubs. Is the underlying factor the off and on activity of members who face real life (RL) matters? Regardless, I want to create an environment where the WF has support groups to return from those familial or personal matters to breathe and reflect. I want this place to be the reason to get away from the real life stress. Writing is meant to relax the mind and release the soul on paper. Let's change this for Writing Forums.

According to the main groups list, groups have been implemented on WF since 2009. New writers bunch, with the most members, has not received a recent post since 2014. The most engaging community is Young Poets Society with over 3,000 messages. Well, duh. It's the coffee and mysterious brownies assisting productivity there. Trust me. I know. I entered the dark side less than twenty four hours ago. Although the most registered members online was documented in 2014 with 208, we have 1,115 active members (despite the 18K total). Why not make the most of what WF is all about? Let's start networking with supportive people who share similar passions through active groups.

Thank you. I appreciate your time, your friendships, and our growing community.

- Anthony

No doubt there'll be a mod along to answer this, but I gotta say, PC, I love your drive for the forum. Thank you!
    "You don't wanna ride the bus like this,"

Mike Posner.

That brings back a memory behind the growth of my lilac bush. I don't know what did it, but it grew back from a stump. To anyone, it was gone forever. There wasn't much hope left to see it flourish and produce the beautiful flowers. Then, it came back. No fertilizer. No special care. It just came back. I see the potential for these groups the same as I do with my plants. Yes, we have a habit of neglecting things. Does that mean they're gone forever? Well, not necessarily. If deep within our roots, there's a spark of drive. Any drive. This can produce the fruit we yearn. I appreciate your support. I am here to make a difference.

Uh, can we just adopt you right here and now?? Those are such good questions. I think for me, I get so caught up in the behind the scenes media job that I haven't had time to get as involved in some of the groups I've joined or in the discussions even. That is on my new years resolution list - to make time for being a regular member again. I think one of the keys to success of a group is having a very active organizer. And some topics, like the new writers group, has so much that is covered in the forums, and the new writers become seasoned writers after awhile. Anyway, this is a great thread and I look forward to more discussion!

Anthony,

You raise some good points - can I adopt you?

Yes, they are essentially online clubs and a great way to interact with WF members of a similar interest.

From what I've observed many of the members who've started the groups have moved on from WF or have lost interest. Mentor, danielstj, has recently taken over admin of the Young Writers' Group (teens) so if you would like to help generate interest in the group that would be great. Why not contact Daniel and offer your help? Regarding the YPS group there are another two associated groups and you are already a member of two. The third is for the judges. Some of the Groups are also private.

The New Writers' Bunch is a classic example of where a member (Hindumaliman) has started a group and then moved on. Last activity, December 1st 2010, this is certainly one group we could and should revive. The member is long gone. As a new writer, I remember it was one of the first groups I joined when I first became a member of WF in 2013 - little did I realise then that the instigator of the group was long gone

Please send me a PM and we will discuss further.

PiP
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Always good to see young people wanting to get involved. It's pretty common, though, for any organization to have a lot of members but just a few active. With writers it's hard, especially when you're working full time and trying to writer a novel. I'm sure that's one of the reasons why some stay for a while then disappear. Too often I've seen someone join, get 10 posts, put up several thousand words then vanish forever. So all power to you, get it on!
    "Self-righteousness never straddles the political fence."

Midnightpoet

"The bible says to love your neighbor. It's obvious that over the centuries it has been interpreted as the opposite."
    (sarcasm alert)

Midnightpoet

Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks everyone for the feedback on my proposal. I have a question regarding the Group Category option when creating a new group.

Why is it strictly Uncategorized or blank? Can we have a substantial drop down list that covers main subject areas?

Perhaps, copying the same format as the Forums itself?

WritingForums.com

All groups categorized under WritingForums.com are designed to help assist and connect all members of the community.

Group Examples: Meet & Greet, The Front Desk, Service Desk, The Break Room, Bulletin Board, The Handbook (Da Rules)

WF Challenges, Contests, & Prompts

All groups categorized under WF Challenges, Contests & Prompts are designed to encourage people to participate in the writing events (judges and contestants) held at WF as well as their designated groups.

Group Examples: Young Poets Society (YPS), Judges Round Table

Workshops
    * Collab. with Verse, Prose and Visual Arts, Writing Related

All groups categorized under Workshops are designed to help assist all prose writers, poets, musicians, and artists outside the forums.

Group Examples: Poetry Corner, Under the Spotlight, Young Impressionists

Published and Publishing

All groups categorized under Published and Publishing are designed to help assist the transition for all novice aspiring writers toward their publication dreams with the assistance of experts.

Group Examples: Self vs. Trad, Marketing Matters, The Pitch, eBooks

The Living Areas (Hobbies, and Interests)

All groups categorized under The Living Areas (Hobbies and Interests) are designed to explore everyone's personalities outside the writing. We are all human. We don't bake cakes just to write on them. We don't go on dates just to show our artistic abilities. We don't serenade everyone with our talents. Okay, feel free. All serenading is perfectly welcomed regardless of your level of songwriting or vocal abilities. These groups should be the key component to relax and enjoy each other. No critiques here. No work to be submitted.

Group Examples: The Coffee Crew, Beanie Baby Hoarders Unite, Canon Rebels, Nikon Nerds, Crazy Cat Ladies

Quote Originally Posted by PrinzeCharming View Post
    That brings back a memory behind the growth of my lilac bush. I don't know what did it, but it grew back from a stump. To anyone, it was gone forever. There wasn't much hope left to see it flourish and produce the beautiful flowers. Then, it came back. No fertilizer. No special care. It just came back. I see the potential for these groups the same as I do with my plants. Yes, we have a habit of neglecting things. Does that mean they're gone forever? Well, not necessarily. If deep within our roots, there's a spark of drive. Any drive. This can produce the fruit we yearn. I appreciate your support. I am here to make a difference.
    Watch out, honey. I didn't come here to make a difference at first, because I just wanted to learn. But once I got in here, I did want to make a difference, more than anything.

And learn, and grow, and improve....somewhere along the way.

I love your posts, and I love how you are taking such a serious interest in this wonderful place.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinzeCharming View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback on my proposal. I have a question regarding the Group Category option when creating a new group.

Why is it strictly Uncategorized or blank? Can we have a substantial drop down list that covers main subject areas?

Perhaps, copying the same format as the Forums itself?

WritingForums.com

All groups categorized under WritingForums.com are designed to help assist and connect all members of the community.

Group Examples: Meet & Greet, The Front Desk, Service Desk, The Break Room, Bulletin Board, The Handbook (Da Rules)

WF Challenges, Contests, & Prompts

All groups categorized under WF Challenges, Contests & Prompts are designed to encourage people to participate in the writing events (judges and contestants) held at WF as well as their designated groups.

Group Examples: Young Poets Society (YPS), Judges Round Table

Workshops
    * Collab. with Verse, Prose and Visual Arts, Writing Related

All groups categorized under Workshops are designed to help assist all prose writers, poets, musicians, and artists outside the forums.

Group Examples: Poetry Corner, Under the Spotlight, Young Impressionists

Published and Publishing

All groups categorized under Published and Publishing are designed to help assist the transition for all novice aspiring writers toward their publication dreams with the assistance of experts.

Group Examples: Self vs. Trad, Marketing Matters, The Pitch, eBooks

The Living Areas (Hobbies, and Interests)

All groups categorized under The Living Areas (Hobbies and Interests) are designed to explore everyone's personalities outside the writing. We are all human. We don't bake cakes just to write on them. We don't go on dates just to show our artistic abilities. We don't serenade everyone with our talents. Okay, feel free. All serenading is perfectly welcomed regardless of your level of songwriting or vocal abilities. These groups should be the key component to relax and enjoy each other. No critiques here. No work to be submitted.

Group Examples: The Coffee Crew, Beanie Baby Hoarders Unite, Canon Rebels, Nikon Nerds, Crazy Cat Ladies
    "Crazy Cat Ladies?" LOL!!! I might just do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    "Crazy Cat Ladies?" LOL!!! I might just do that!
    Believe it or not, that was the moment when I had you in mind. Thanks for the support!

WF NEWS

February Group Update

Believe it or not, but this thread is almost a month old. The group section is now prospering with active members willing to volunteer their invaluable time. Thank you for showing our community your genuine interest for hangout areas outside the main forums. I am pleased to announce that our groups have multiple components discussed from the previous comment. This includes The Living Areas theme of hobbies and interests with a workshop writing component.

Our latest group, A Thousand Words, was a shot in the dark after studying the latest photography trends around the forums. This was simply done from browsing aimlessly around. I am pleased to announce the ribbon cutting was only a few days ago, and the turn out has been amazing! I am looking forward to seeing all our writers, photographers, and phowriters come together to create an invaluable experience with two passions intertwined.

No fancy camera required! Bring everything you already have to the table.

In the Works:

The current suggestion for a group is primarily focused on literature critiquing where members can sit back, share their favorite articles and famous works in literature, and discuss interpretations together. This can have an English literature class theme with famous articles and lots of secondary resources. No need to submit personal poems, short stories, etc. Bring an open mind and lots of intriguing works from famous writers.

Let's Discuss

Tell me how you feel about the current progress in the groups. Provide any comments, concerns, or feedback, especially about the current suggestion made from another member of our community.

Thank you, seriously.

- Anthony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast