watercolours

Page 1 of 54 1234567891151 ... LastLast

Thread: watercolours

watercolours mix with acrylics...

bought some arty stuff the other day....going to try some imaginary scenes...anyone got a few finished pictures..i've been on youtube but i was looking for a more personal connection.....
    Last edited by escorial; October 30th, 2016 at 07:54 PM.
    The only one who can heal you is you.

What kind of arty stuff did you buy? Did you buy watercolor out of the tube or on a palette?
    Make sure you create something today.

tube....blocks..quite a bit....i found the watercolours a bit limited for my thing...i done a few watercolours but just felt the medium was not to my liking..do you use them..any completed works to post would be great to see..?

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    tube....blocks..quite a bit....i found the watercolours a bit limited for my thing...i done a few watercolours but just felt the medium was not to my liking..do you use them..any completed works to post would be great to see..?
    Watercolor handles differently than other painting mediums, and it looks differently. You've got to use special brushes with it, and getting up and cleaning your water every so often can be annoying. There are some who watercolor is definitely for them (such as myself) and there are others who just shake their head at it. Can I ask what you didn't like about it?

I don't have any complete works at the moment. I've got a watercolor book with stuff all over it, but I wouldn't consider any of that necessarily ready for public eyes, haha.

i found you had to think way ahead of putting colour down..there was not much margin for error and working over a piece was impossible..dark and light was the big struggle..overall i found it limiting...were as oils,gouache was much more to my liking..thicker,more vibrant and workable...i did try with painting sky and water with watercolour and done quite a bit but it was not for me..i do hope you put some works up to see...

Yes, in my experience, it's close to impossible fixing mistakes in watercolor. You kind of just have to work it in or scrap it. And there's a lot of planning involved because of that. Sometimes, if you've got this idea in your head you want to get out, you can't even properly execute it without the correct paper and something as simple as not realizing how much water you just put down can ruin it.

See, I've never worked with gouache, but I LOVE the way it looks, especially on dark paper. The colors are incredibly vibrant.

went to a recent show at the Tate and got to see my first ever fauvist painting by Matisse..so much colour..fab..next show is Bacon which will be cool but not much colour...

one of my favourite mediums was chalk..use to buy big sticks in limited colours but that was secondary..what i use to do was trace around the shadows of lamps,bikes,cars.signs..so many things and when you went back later or the next day when the shadow had moved you were left with this amazing profile of the object..distorted but recognizable..

Blog Entries
    In general, the process of watercolors and oils is in opposition: In watercolors, normally one paints from light to dark - in oils one usually paints from dark to light.

I'm more inclined towards the oil methodology (dark to light), and making the mental switch in watercolor is difficult.

That said, watercolors are much easier to work with in terms of setup and cleanup, and there are no fumes to deal with. Keeping a blow-dryer handy when working in watercolors is helpful also to speed the drying time.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content
    Love your pet forever. Hidden Content

i always get the impression watercolours are about technical ability....i've seen Turners and there amzing studies but when you see the final oil on canvas to me there is so much more in them beyond ability....

Page 1 of 54 1234567891151 ... LastLast