Spelling plus commas.

Thread: Spelling plus commas.

Arrow Spelling plus commas.

I wonder if I will every get how to spell correctly for I have the worst time, especially with editing and spelling. I also study the sentence and try to fit the comma in there as part of the sentence. I believe commas to are when we speak, we have to stop to catch our breath or catch a thought. I now see the difference between speaking and writing. We see the words when we write, but do not see the words when we speak, in writing it seems we write as we speak, if that makes any sense.

But I want to jar the reader into being excited by my written thoughts. That is my goal when I write. I cannot see the reader, but I hope I have made a contribution to there expression of the art of writing. I am excited about the word art and use it correctly for others to do the same. Writer One

Grantham, Lincolnshire - home of Isaac Newton and some woman whose name I've forgotten
    Hello One

I have four comments I think are appropriate:

1. For now, forget about grammar, punctuation, nouns, verbs, etc; just write. Your writing, certainly in your posts, is not bad. The more you write, the better you will get at it: just like painting, dancing, kicking a football or playing a musical instrument. Just do it; and do it every day!

2. For the placement of commas in your written work, forget about breathing: just put the commas where grammar and style guides suggest you put them. This is something I often do myself when I first write something. Later when I'm editing I take most of them out. The reader will figure out where to pause.

3. You 'jar' your reader or get her or him 'excited' by the style of your writing: short sentences interspersed with longer sentences and sometimes even one-word sentences - these not correct according to the strictest rules of grammar but something great writers do all the time. Check out Ian Rankin's work, for example.

4. Read, read, read then read some more. Read everything you can get your hands on, particularly in your chosen genre. Just as a great painter or great musician studies other great artists' and performers' work, you should do the same.

All the best with your writing.

Warmest regards
    Riis
    All writing is practise for the writing that follows.
    If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
    If you like intelligent contemporary conspiracy thrillers, you may want to check out The Bureau of Happiness
    Hidden Content