Grammar equals nouns and verbs?

Thread: Grammar equals nouns and verbs?

Grammar equals nouns and verbs?

My personal problem with the word grammar is it's related to nouns and verbs and that's part of my problem. I cannot grasp them. The cat sat on the mat has a subject and a predicate which is either sat or mat, I believe it's sat. Cat is a noun sat a verb mat noun and as you see there are two different words explaining what grammar is. If the sentence makes sense to me I am happy with it, but if grammar disagrees I am wrong.

Hopefully you can see where my main problems lies. Can you help me? Writer One

This thread is not a argument. For whatever reason I cannot understand verbs nouns and the like. To me it's like another language like German. Maybe this might help, I also do not under E=ec2. Should I be critisized (and I was from another Writing forum) because I cannot find another way to write and still be understood? This bothers me greatly because they made it plain there is only one way to write and that includes nouns verbs and the like! I would still write nouns and verbs and the like but with words in English as English words not nouns and such. Writer One
    Last edited by Cran; October 4th, 2015 at 11:38 PM.

I no longer worry about the mechanics. As my high school English teacher said, if you haven't learned what you need to know by high school, there's no point banging your head against the wall. If you can write sentences that flow and make sense, who cares about the terminology?
    Has left the building.

I agree with Shadowwalker. Just write your stuff and read it back out loud. If it makes sense and says what you want it to say, then it's okay. If you put it up for critique, you will probably get all sorts of opinions and advice about possible ways to improve it. All these comments will be given in the spirit of friendship and with the genuine aim of being helpful, never to put you down or judge you on your standard of writing. Always remember, as the author, the piece of writing is your art and you should look at every suggestion to see if it works to improve your story. Ultimately, it's your choice to accept the advice or not (although you should always be polite and thank the poster, of course.)

Out in the real world, no-one gives a fig if you know a verb from a noun or not - the only test of your competence as a writer is the work you produce. So forget your fears and just write. You are one of us now.

jen

Quote Originally Posted by Writer One View Post
    My personal problem with the word grammar is it's related to nouns and verbs and that's part of my problem. I cannot grasp them. The cat sat on the mat has a subject and a predicate which is either sat or mat, I believe it's sat. Cat is a noun sat a verb mat noun and ...
    ... and you have just disproved your argument. You correctly identified the nouns and the verb, so you can grasp them.

... as you see there are two different words explaining what grammar is. If the sentence makes sense to me I am happy with it, but if grammar disagrees I am wrong.
    If the sentence makes sense to your reader, then you worry too much about the rights and wrongs of grammar. Don't. Not until you need to.

Grammar just means the way we put words and symbols together so that a reader can understand the message the writer wants to send. It only becomes important if the writer sends a different message than the one intended, or a collection of letters and symbols which cannot be resolved into words and a message.

We both see a small furry thing that purrs. Let's agree to call it a "cat". That's grammar.

OK, the "cat" is doing something, let's agree to call that something "sitting". The "cat" is "sitting". What did it do in order to be "sitting"? It "sat". The "cat" "sat" - now we're getting somewhere!

Alright, we need a preposition - a what? a word that describes the relationship between the verb and the object, and which together with the verb and the object make the predicate. >blank< Yeah, alright, now we're getting confused. We're putting labels on concepts to describe the labels we're putting on things and actions and relative positions, when all we want to do is convey that "the cat sat on the mat".

If you know the difference between "on" and "under" or "near", then you don't really need to know that "on" is a preposition; you just need to know that "sat on" is different to "sat under" or "sat near", and that you want to send the message that the cat sat "on" the mat.

Hopefully you can see where my main problems lies. Can you help me? Writer One

This thread is not a argument. For whatever reason I cannot understand verbs nouns and the like. To me it's like another language like German. Maybe this might help, I also do not under E=ec2. Should I be critisized (and I was from another Writing forum) because I cannot find another way to write and still be understood?
    OK, you don't understand E=Mc2 - that would be serious if you were building a rocket and planning to fly it to Mars, or designing the next generation nuclear reactor; otherwise it makes you no different to most of us.

Now, should you be criticized because you cannot find another way to write and still be understood? Probably not. There are some situations where it might be appropriate, but if the way you write is understood then you have achieved your purpose. Unless your purpose is to do more than simply write in a way that is understood.

This bothers me greatly because they made it plain there is only one way to write and that includes nouns verbs and the like! I would still write nouns and verbs and the like but with words in English as English words not nouns and such. Writer One
    I'm struggling to understand this bit.

They - whoever they are - made it plain there is only one way to write = that's rubbish, any way I look at it. There are as many ways to write as there are people who write anything. There are fewer, but still many, ways to write that can be understood; and fewer ways still that can be entertaining or informative. There are particular ways to write for limited purposes, such as academic, legal, commercial or legal documents. But only one way? No.
    "I don't know ... I'm making it up as I go ..." - Dr I Jones

Nature abhors perfection - cats abhor a vacuum!

"Faith can move mountains - she's a big girl!" (unknown/graffiti)

If I act like I own the place, it's because I did.

Wow. If there were only "one way to write" I would be severely screwed.

Everyone here writes differently. Different techniques, different styles, different ways of getting the words on the page. There are some here who may look at all the technical aspects of sentence structure and make sure that every sentence is as grammatically perfect as it can be as they are writing. But there are an awful lot of us who just take what we have read, and use it to determine whether or not a sentence looks right.

That, to me, is one of the great beauties of writing. There is no one way to do it the "right" way. It's a very individual endeavor.
    “Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.” -Carl Sagan

Real courage is found, not in the willingness to risk death, but in the willingness to stand, alone if necessary, against the ignorant and disapproving herd. --Jon Roland, 1976

Have you checked out the Hidden Content

Founder of the Pantsers United Group and member of the Fantasy Lords Group

"Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful,
    insincere, and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows." - Walt Disney

Dallas TX, At least till I can escape back to the Mountains.
    When I started back writing grammar was the easiest thing to fix. There are so many free tools on the internet, that if you have any capacity at all to learn from experience you will get pretty good at it in a short amount of time.

The first tool I used was paperrater.com. This actually gives you a provisional grade. plug in your education level (try bachelors even if you don't have one) and dump your writing into it. Make a game out of it. Try to get that grade up on the first try.

As I have said in many posts, my primary is Pro Writing Aid. Again I try for the cleanest report possible. You have to make some allowances for voice and dialog. Don't follow every suggestion but at least variations to the standard are conscience choices. In my case the narrations is pretty clean most issues are in dialog.

The only reason I would tell a new writer not to worry about grammar is because it is so easy to fix.
    Sleep in fear: Viking is a verb!

Getting shot at is not so bad; getting hit kinda sucks.

Thank you, you have made my year. Writer One

Finally I found a forum that understands me. I am beside myself with glee. I am slower than a three legged bear especially on new forum directives. It will take me a while to get cocky with it. I feel like one grain of sand trying to say Hi I'm new here. Writer One