The Wordsmith's Challenge

Thread: The Wordsmith's Challenge

The Wordsmith's Challenge

This is inspired by a TV show that I watch on occasion where chefs are given a basket of mystery ingredients and must make a dish using all of them. You might be familiar with it, you might not be, either way, the basic premise is this:

You have 500 words (I use wordcounter.net, myself) in which to write a story using three (3) prompts. You must use all of the prompts in your story, though subtlety is encouraged. Once you've posted your story, you will select three themes for the next person. Though the themes can be random and don't have to be related to one another, I'd appreciate you cutting the guy behind you a little slack instead of typing the first three things that come to mind.

Remember, the prompts should stay within the forum rules. If you have any question about those, please click the link below:
    http://www.writingforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rules_and_guidelines

Now here's the important part:

Before you post your own story, you must post a critique of the story above. Try to keep it brief, but don't rob your fellow authors of a proper review. Bear in mind whether the prompts were all used on top of the quality of the writing and the story itself.

If, by some odd chance, two people post a story at the same time, the person who shows as posting first will have the advantage, and their prompts will be the ones used, so pay attention, it has been known to happen. If I don't spot it, the second author may contact me for a review of their story, so that nobody loses out.

The following layout should be used:

REVIEW

STORY (WORD COUNT)

PROMPTS FOR NEXT ROUND

The first person to accept the challenge gets a freebie, they won't have to review a story. Enjoy!

FIRST ROUND PROMPTS
    I SAVED THE WORLD
    ISLANDS
    TOO MANY LEGS
    If you're not sure how to take something I say, keep in mind that Bob Ross is my spirit animal. Hidden Content .

“The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.”
    Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Disaster Averted (499 words)

The sunset bathes the sea in an amber glow, the sound of the waves gently lapping at the shore a welcome change. All around me I can see other people walking round the islands, some wave at me with bottles in their hands. I lean back on a sand dune and smiled as I thought of how I had inadvertently saved the world.

23:55

The car careened down the road wildly, fishtailed round a corner before the driver finally lost control and it slew to a halt in a cloud of dust. The drunk staggered from his car and found a handy road sign to lean against whilst he vomited away some of the excess, before straightening up to try and figure out where exactly he was. After getting his bearings he set off back towards his car, which sat patiently with smoke curling from the exhaust in the still air, but he seemed to have too many legs and the ground was moving under him. Eventually he slumped down to his hands and knees and crawled back before hauling himself back into the drivers seat, vomiting one last time out of the door before pulling it closed and throwing the car into gear set off again.

08:07

The next morning finds the owner of that car sat in a darkened control room in front of a brightly glowing console. The sound of the air conditioning is not improving his hang over, nor the chatter of colleagues around him discussing the mundane. He slowly crosses his arms on his console to block out some of the lights, lays his head on his arms and dozes off.

His superior notes this, and stalks across the command centre intending to relieve the offender of his duties and maybe even court martial him such is the severity of this. As he reaches the sleeping figure he speaks to another member of staff whilst grabbing the shoulder of the figure at the console.

“Bring some coffee over, and give me an extra shot for Russia.”

The sleep deprived and alcohol soaked brain of the unfortunate console operator hears the last few words and acts automatically. Fingers move in a preset pattern and presses buttons; electronic signals flash down wires and transmit themselves over the airwaves. Printers around the world begin to churn out complicated orders.

The commander pushes the hapless operator to the floor, screaming impotently as red light after red light begins to blink on the console. He sits down and begins to type furiously, trying to cancel the previous orders. One by one the lights all switch back to green except one. He stares down at the light…praying and hoping it will go green again. Above the light the word U.S.S. Ranger are taped.

The Ranger slipped under the water shortly after receiving the signal to launch all nuclear weapons at Russia. It took 18 hours for us to resurface, and in those hours I still hadn’t fixed that damned printer.

Prompts

Offered
    Fog
    Switched
    Rimmer: You can't just whack Death on the head!
    Lister: If he comes near me, I'm gonna rip his nipples off!

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
    - Robin Williams

I know I rushed it, but looks like this died a death early.
    Rimmer: You can't just whack Death on the head!
    Lister: If he comes near me, I'm gonna rip his nipples off!

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
    - Robin Williams