Stressful summer

Thread: Stressful summer

Stressful summer

Stressful Summer

This has been a stressful and expensive summer. In late may the window a/c in the bedroom failed. It was on a 220 line, as the summer temps here can rise to 110 degrees
    at times. Luckily we had a extended repair contract, but the service said they could not find a repair service in the area that could repair the brand; they offered to send a replacement check. We said yes, but the company messed up the offer. We called back after two weeks; we sent you a gift card by e-mail they said. No, you didn’t, we said, and we didn’t want one. Suffice it to say it was another month before we got the money.

Since we didn’t have the replacement money, we had to wait and suffer. Fortunately, it was a cool summer for west Texas, mostly just nudging the 100 degree mark. About the time we got the new model ($100 to install, darn thing too heavy for us) the a/c in the living room cratered. We managed to pull out the money (robbing Peter to pay Paul) but the guy that installed the other one wasn’t available.

While we waited, the electricity in half the trailer went out. Cost from the electrician about $600 to fix the problem. Living in a small town is no advantage here – most guys want at least $125 just to show up (80 miles round trip). There’s no one here, other than the rare handyman, who can do much of any kind of work – and that’s usually cash. That means greenbacks in hand. In the meantime we did find a guy to help us install the new living room unit - another $100, plus my labor and material to finish off the job. We took out the window and used plywood to frame it out, then I caulked the seams (caulk is not my friend, I usually make a mess). Since it was a heavy unit I installed a t-pole for it to rest on outside.

While all this was going on the refrigerator stopped cooling. It turned out to be a bad thermostat and it needed defrosting bad. That was $150 I believe. Now just recently the dishwasher quit – well, mainly the door wouldn’t close. We think it’s the door latch. So for the last couple of weeks I’ve been doing the dishes by hand.

So this sort of thing, plus vet bills and other problems, has stretched our budget pretty thin, and the fact that my wife’s health has kept her in bed a lot means I’m pretty tired. I have managed some short stories and poetry, but my novels are pretty much dead in the water for the time being.

Looks like it's going to be cornbread and beans for a while.

Tony
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

Sorry to hear that. On the lighter note, I know a lot of beans recipes. Keep being positive!
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

When sommit goes wrong it all seems to go wrong...stay safe man
    The only one who can heal you is you.

I'm sorry to hear all that Midnight. I know how hard budget problems can be.

Are you my sock puppet? Because it sounds like we might be the same people. Every time I think I've got something fixed, something else goes wrong, and I have to wait for the next paycheck to fix that so something else can break. Hope you find an end to this vicious cycle.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Don't know if you remember the old song "Into each life some rain must fall but too much is falling in mine," but it certainly applies. I've forgotten the artist, I think he was R & B. There was also a "Li'l Abner" character (that may be too far back for you), wherever he went a little black rain cloud followed him. Joe something. I may be a WASP, but I can surely sing the blues...
    "Put not your trust not in princes, in the children of men,
    in whom there is no salvation."
    Psalm 146

Timely, isn't it?

Strength man. Brothers in catastrophe.