A book you hated by an author you love? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A book you hated by an author you love?

Stranger in a Strange Land by heinlein.
    Loved the author, hated the book.

The Information by the once great Martin Amis. Loved all his books before this but this one left me feeling underwhelmed and put me off reading any of his other books since then.

In your garden. Prefer lantana but star flowers and sea holly will do.
    Blog Entries
    How about a book you loved by an author you hated?

Stephen King scares the snot out of me. But I loved his On Writing. I only read it because it was a gift I received at a time when I was very ill and had nothing else to read. Now I highly recommend it. (And I have a lot more respect for him as a writer as well because of it, so it was a win-win experience all-around.)

(But I still won't read his scary stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Pearson View Post
    How about a book you loved by an author you hated?

Stephen King scares the snot out of me. But I loved his On Writing. I only read it because it was a gift I received at a time when I was very ill and had nothing else to read. Now I highly recommend it. (And I have a lot more respect for him as a writer as well because of it, so it was a win-win experience all-around.)

(But I still won't read his scary stuff.)
    The older Stephen King stuff up to around "On Writing" is about all I have read of his. His newer stuff just doesn't seem to interest me. It seems like he's changed over time, though I'm not saying that's a bad thing because some people obviously like it. But On Writing really is a masterpiece as far as telling new writers what to do. Just write. Follow the story and don't quit until it's told. Entertain yourself first and foremost, and find your own methods. Study the masters of the craft but don't aim to imitate. I think King knows what he's talking about.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson

Stephen King's 'It'. Thought the ending was a huge cop out and would have thrown the book at the wall but it's a pretty hefty book.

I tried to read The Dark Half by Stephen King once.

Yeah, I'm not making that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesh View Post
    I won't say I 'love' James Patterson, but he wrote some pretty good thrillers back in the day. The books he's currently publishing under his name, but which are actually written by other authors, are universally wretched.
    Same. I like his Alex Cross stuff but I read Zoo and thought it was terrible.

To Have and Have Not by Ernest Hemingway.

No, Ernest. Just....no.

I loved John Irving's older work: The Cider House Rules, The World According to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany and The Hotel New Hampshire. So when Avenue of Mysteries came out, I had high hopes. But it was just long and weird, and not the good kind of weird, either.

Bad Interviews with Hideous Men- David Foster Wallace

I liked Infinite Jest and adore David Foster Wallace's non-fiction, but this just struck me as trite garbage.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast