Crime Scene Question - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crime Scene Question

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Thanks, Kepharel. Just as an aside, on your side of the pond, is it true police have switched from bobby sticks to guns? If so, when did it happen?
    Police here in the UK are generally equipped with a telescopic baton, i.e. one that is compact and can be extended in the time it takes to blink, and sometimes tasers as standard. They are not routinely armed.

There are Armed Response officers armed with assault rifles and sidearms who patrol around what would be designated a high value target, such as railway stations, main hub airports and government buildings. The Metropolitan Police, Intelligence Services and Special Forces conducted a major security exercise in London a few weeks back in a major show of co-ordinated force, given what happened in Tunisia recently. Sadly that's the world we live in now I suppose

For the crime scene part: Depends on the country, but in my surroundings, the police are not allowed to disclose the identity of people involved while they are on the scene. However, they quite often do - either because of carelessness or because they need to ask questions. That's the way the journalists fish for information.

For the dream part: I would try to make the sequence dream-like from the start - having careful inconsequentalities, intentional plot holes and unclear dialogue. If successful, this would build a doubt in the reader and once revealed, would not be a cop-out, but an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleFoxtrot View Post
    For the crime scene part: Depends on the country, but in my surroundings, the police are not allowed to disclose the identity of people involved while they are on the scene. However, they quite often do - either because of carelessness or because they need to ask questions. That's the way the journalists fish for information.

For the dream part: I would try to make the sequence dream-like from the start - having careful inconsequentalities, intentional plot holes and unclear dialogue. If successful, this would build a doubt in the reader and once revealed, would not be a cop-out, but an explanation.
    Thanks for your reply. In my crime scene, I have two bodies wheeled out on gurneys, so that's a dead giveaway, excuse the pun. The murders take place in the middle of the night. Would it be reasonable for the police ask questions of the employees who gather outside the cordoned off building in the morning?

As for the first two lines in your message above, those are good ideas. Can you give an example or two?

Thanks!
    Hidden Content Hi! I'm still a newbie. Hidden Content

For every police force after the safety is established the number one function of the police at a crime scene is the documentation and preservation of evidence. If the evidence is lost or tainted then the case is jeopardized. the steps taken will vary slightly depending on the situation, but controlling who has access to the area, photographing the scene and every piece of evidence, and taking statements are standard.
    K.S. Crooks- Dreamer and Author

Quote Originally Posted by K.S. Crooks View Post
    For every police force after the safety is established the number one function of the police at a crime scene is the documentation and preservation of evidence. If the evidence is lost or tainted then the case is jeopardized. the steps taken will vary slightly depending on the situation, but controlling who has access to the area, photographing the scene and every piece of evidence, and taking statements are standard.
    If it's in a large building where there are lots of businesses and employees, it's probably safe s to assume they evacuate *all* of the employees for at least a period of time, but do they have to tell the all of evacuees who the victims were? Or maybe the crowd finds out by happenstance and whispers?
    Is it safe to assume the same would hold true in a small building?
    Hidden Content Hi! I'm still a newbie. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    If it's in a large building where there are lots of businesses and employees, it's probably safe s to assume they evacuate *all* of the employees for at least a period of time, but do they have to tell the all of evacuees who the victims were? Or maybe the crowd finds out by happenstance and whispers?
    Is it safe to assume the same would hold true in a small building?
    No. The police policy will be to not tell anyone anything about the crime. They can't control whispers and innuendo as has been mentioned, but officially they will be silent.
    “Fools” said I, “You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you”
    But my words like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed in the wells of silence : Simon & Garfunkel

Those who enjoy stirring the chamber-pot should be required to lick the spoon.

Our job as writers is to make readers dream, to infiltrate their minds with our words and create a new reality; a reality not theirs, and not ours, but a new, unique combination of both.

Visit Amazon and the Kindle Store to check out Reflections in a Black Mirror, and Chase

Hidden Content

Is the dream of only the murders or the whole story?
    I'm too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12