Getting crafty - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Getting crafty

Quote Originally Posted by KLJo View Post
    The Tate?
    I might be wrong but I believe it's an art museum in London.

I don't do stuff like this, but I like to poke through exhibits at fairs in summer.

I do photography. Printing is kind of crafty. Once in a while I print on an enlarger. I've been meaning to do some enlarger prints this summer, but haven't got around to it.
    ...taking a trip, not taking a trip...

There are two Tates. One is for modern 'art,' like an unmade bed or shark cut in half or a tent covered on ex-lovers signatures. It is getting to the point where I was considering putting one my dog's poos up for the next competition.

I've never tried binding books before, but I do re-cover notepads and things with floral prints/aged book pages/blackmail note style newspaper clippings ^^;

Oooo Bazz, great idea! I was gonna commission my little sister to eat sweets all day long in one of the booths, throwing the wrappers on the floor with a forlorn expression whilst the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme tune buzzing in the background ;3

And walker, I've been meaning to try printing! I want to print onto wax paper and make photo transfers onto pieces of wood :3
    Remember kids: Drink vodka, play Dotka!

Quote Originally Posted by Boofy View Post
    And walker, I've been meaning to try printing! I want to print onto wax paper and make photo transfers onto pieces of wood :3
    That sounds cool! Never tried it. I guess that would be a digital printer technique?

I know that in the darkroom some people paint liquid emulsion onto surfaces like tile, and then process it just like a photo print.

I really need to get more creative. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do nowadays.

Aye, that's the one ^^ Liquid emulsion, neh? I'll have to look it up. Gods, there really are so many things you can make at a fraction of the cost to buy them. The materials are all so damned readily available.

I desperately want a mini 3D printer. It would really help me with my jewellery making. Some of them are 400-500 pounds these days so I figure I could get one if my crafts fairs go well enough :3

I made 21 pairs of earrings today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roseearrings.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	8862

Aye, that's the one ^^ Liquid emulsion, neh? I'll have to look it up. Gods, there really are so many things you can make at a fraction of the cost to buy them. The materials are all so damned readily available.

I desperately want a mini 3D printer. It would really help me with my jewellery making. Some of them are 400-500 pounds these days so I figure I could get one if my crafts fairs go well enough :3

I made 21 pairs of earrings today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roseearrings.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	8862
    That's incredible. Start a business! I knew someone once who got the idea to make jewelry from coins she placed on railroad tracks to be flattened. It took off, and she got her stuff placed in some pretty decent galleries. She must have been a good entrepreneur. Then someone came down on her for defacing currency. True story. But your earrings woudn't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    That's incredible. Start a business! I knew someone once who got the idea to make jewelry from coins she placed on railroad tracks to be flattened. It took off, and she got her stuff placed in some pretty decent galleries. She must have been a good entrepreneur. Then someone came down on her for defacing currency. True story. But your earrings woudn't have that problem.
    Aw, that's a real shame, you know. It sounds really quirky! I always used to squash my pennies in those machines you could find at museums as a kid. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of them around for a while... is that why?

And thank you :3 I do intend to build a business of sorts, 4/5 crafts fairs a year and I can pay for my hobby whilst it grows (3D PRINTER 3D PRINTER 3D PRINTER). Anything I buy I can turn a profit on, even if I stop doing fairs. I could sell it on etsy/ebay or even wholesale to local shops if I really can't shift it. I am uber frugal, so if people are selling earring hooks at 50 for 2.99, I go to ebay and bid on last minute auctions instead. I got 300 earring hooks the other day for 0.06! FREE DELIVERY! ^^;

Aw, that's a real shame, you know. It sounds really quirky! I always used to squash my pennies in those machines you could find at museums as a kid. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of them around for a while... is that why?

And thank you :3 I do intend to build a business of sorts, 4/5 crafts fairs a year and I can pay for my hobby whilst it grows (3D PRINTER 3D PRINTER 3D PRINTER). Anything I buy I can turn a profit on, even if I stop doing fairs. I could sell it on etsy/ebay or even wholesale to local shops if I really can't shift it. I am uber frugal, so if people are selling earring hooks at 50 for 2.99, I go to ebay and bid on last minute auctions instead. I got 300 earring hooks the other day for 0.06! FREE DELIVERY! ^^;
    Yeah, ebay's cool. I've bought and sold there for years, just a few things a year. I do buy it now sometimes, auctions sometimes. I guess one of the reasons I'm attracted to writing is independence. It hasn't paid off yet, obviously. Making crafts to sell on ebay has the same allure. Some people make it work.

I was talking to a woman at a fair the other day who makes 32,000 a year and employs her mother full time! I couldn't believe it ^^; They do 12 fairs a year and sell online and do commissions and parties etc too. It's amazing what you can do if you have just an ounce of creativity. Writing is very much the same, you're right. I'd love to be independent. Not just financially, either. Having an eco home is an indulgent dream of mine ^^;

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast