Scrivner? Whatever - Page 2

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scrivner? Whatever

Blog Entries
    I've found that Scrivener is an extremely helpful tools for writers, as it allows the writer to keep all their research and notes together in place where there can flick between notes and research when needed without having to switch between screens and programs. It also has all the functions that word does and many more. There are also other functions to the program such as formating stories into publication format etc... I used scrivenor when writing my own short story for my dissertation and found that my writing was more detailed and concise than I had ever writen before. I would highly recomend this software for any writer no matter if they are writing fiction or non-fiction. Hope this helps

For me scrivener's file management (directory tree, basically) on call in the same window, is the attraction. I'd say, if hard copy presentation is a big concern, stick with word.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

I think others have detailed what scrivener can do already so I won't add to much to the discussion about it other than I use it for mostly organization. I don't like typing straight into Scrivener though, and started out typing in word and then transferring it into my Scrivener. However, lately I have been using Google Docs over Word, it is extremely similar as far as format and features as word, but also lets me access any documents I'm working on anywhere and on any device, as long as I have a wifi connection. Often times I will write using Google Docs on my phone during my breaks at work, edit it using Google Docs on my laptop at home, and then organize/structure it in my Scrivener master file.

I use OpenOffice Writer, which is free and generally every bit as good as Word. Scrivener looks interesting, but I've found alternate ways to do almost everything it does. It might be nice to have all of those tools in once place, but for the moment I'm not sold on it.

Blog Entries
    First off, I have to say that I collect software like Charlie Sheen collects STD's.

Being on a Mac, I've used Pages for some writing (don't care for it). I've used Mellel for years and it has some good outlining features and other helpful things for writers -it's what I use for blog posts and short stories. I've also used BBEdit a bit for writing even though it's main strength is for coding.

Now that I'm trying to write more long form, I've added Scrivener to my collection. I've only used it a little at this point but I love it's organizational features, and the flexibility (I can switch from outline to corkboard instantly depending on my need), being able to separate notes, background, and other research from the main story. It looks like an amazing tool. Plus, it can export to eBook formats.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Graphic Design. Illustration. Happy Dogs.
    Hidden Content
    Love your pet forever. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by krishan View Post
    I use OpenOffice Writer, which is free and generally every bit as good as Word. Scrivener looks interesting, but I've found alternate ways to do almost everything it does. It might be nice to have all of those tools in once place, but for the moment I'm not sold on it.
    YES
    I use OpenOffice and it does everything I want it to do.I highly recommend it,it;s just as good as Word

If I could just get myself to write consistently, I'd have no qualms with writing in a notebook. The carpal tunnel would be worth it.

I use the Novel Factory for all my writing. It's particularly for plotting and outlining and for those that are first learning to write. It's not as heavily featured as Scrivener, but it's much easier to start using right away.

Blog Entries
    What are the comparisons + / - between Scrivner and Novel Factory?
    "Sometimes I wish I could stay asleep, not because my life is that dull and boring but because my dreams are just that good." - Mindy Dyksterhouse (MzSnowleopard)
    Admin @ Hidden Content & Hidden Content
    Student @ Hidden Content
    Hidden Content / Hidden Content

FocusWriter for linux-based systems is used by me. Aesthetically it is quite nifty, thought I am yet to discover whether it has advanced functionalities for more serious projects.

Screenshot, for the curious or the bored:

http://i.imgur.com/V9hPVjz.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast