OpenOffice Help/Formatting Question: Words keep hanging on bottom of page

Thread: OpenOffice Help/Formatting Question: Words keep hanging on bottom of page

OpenOffice Help/Formatting Question: Words keep hanging on bottom of page

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Writing.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	8653Hopefully you guys can see the image and yes I know it needs editing. I keep having to hit enter a bunch of times to separate the text and make sure it doesn't touch the bottom of the page. Is there a way where I can set it so it doesn't go that far down in Openoffice or do I have to keep hitting enter to split the text manually? I don't want it to look sloppy but I guess if I have to keep hitting enter than I have to do it that way.(I also have to change the page size I found out but I can do that after I finish.)

Firstly, click on a page, to the left should be an inch by inch measuring... line thing.... Put your mouse at the very bottom of it, click, and hold. It should turn into arrows where you can then drag the 'cropping?" up or down to set the 'auto bottom' of the page. I can snap a picture and upload if you need. Sorry I don't know the correct names of stuff.
    FYI, You use the same method on the top 'measuring thing' width of your page text. and or the tab spacing (but the tab spacing is still a little confusing to me... I kinda just get along with it.)

Second, If you hit Ctrl+Enter, it will split off and stick to 'next page.' Excellent for forcing the next chapter to start on it's own page.

Grantham, Lincolnshire - home of Isaac Newton and some woman whose name I've forgotten
    Hello Aaron

I assume you're working in Microsoft Word.

If this is the case, put your mouse pointer on the very bottom of any page. It should turn into a little icon that looks like two successive pages coming together with little arrows pointing to the gap. The text will either read 'Show White Space' or 'Hide White Space'.

My guess is you have accidentally hidden the white space (I do this all the time - accidentally, that is), which brings your text to the very bottom of the first page and the very top of the second page. Click this icon and you should now see margins between the text where you pages come together.

Sorry, Nic, I would not recommend changing the margins from the default settings. Starting a new chapter on a new page is helpful but certainly not in the middle of a chapter to get a margin below the text. The problem with this is if you edit this page and add a paragraph - or even a couple of lines - you will end up with these couple of lines on a new page and your original page break starting another new page. Total confusion!

All the best with your formatting.

Warmest regards
    Riis
    All writing is practise for the writing that follows.
    If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
    If you like intelligent contemporary conspiracy thrillers, you may want to check out The Bureau of Happiness
    Hidden Content

mm, Riis I agree, though he says OpenOffice in the title.
    I mention Ctrl+Enter because it took me a long time to learn, am not suggesting it as a fix to the current problem.

Aron,
    Also today I found in the upper toolbar if you go to "Format > Page..." then it'll open up a nice gui with all kinds of neat options, as well as picking different kinds of default settings. I use "letter."

Grantham, Lincolnshire - home of Isaac Newton and some woman whose name I've forgotten
    Hello Nic

Sorry about that. I missed the 'Open Office' bit - silly me. I know absolutely nothing about Open Office. Please just ignore my posts.

All the best with your writing.

Warmest regards
    Riis
    All writing is practise for the writing that follows.
    If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
    If you like intelligent contemporary conspiracy thrillers, you may want to check out The Bureau of Happiness
    Hidden Content

Hi Aaron,
    pleased to meet you.

I'm using Libra Office Writer, which is a fork from Open Office.

On the top left there should be a Styles & Formatting button, that will enable you to choose which page layout you would prefer.

Good luck
    BC

Thanks guys(Sorry been a bit busy editing my first book and starting my second before my first even is out.) Actually I found out if I would have simply put a header and footer it automatically moves the text to the next page so it gives the bottom of the page space! If I knew headers and footers did that it would have saved me a lot of editing and spacing!