Diet, what diet?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diet, what diet?

Diet, what diet?

I’m feeling pretty depressed about my weight at the moment. I was ill with a strange virus after Christmas which took a couple of months to clear then left me with post viral depression. I took comfort in food and am now suffering the consequences. I’m usually so self-disciplined, but when it comes to food I’m like a pig at the trough. I never used to be fat with a tractor size tyre round my mid drift. A little plump and cuddley but never fat!

I’ve tried various diets in the past, lost weight and then put it all back on again but never this much. Very few of my clothes fit me now and those that do make me look like a marquee…seriously. Last week I even resorted to looking in the maternity section! It was only the sniggers and strange looks cast in my direction from the young sales staff that prevented me trying the clothes on. Hangs head in shame…

I need some serious motivation because I need to lose at least 28lb by Christmas. Do you think this is feasible?

So what’s to be done?

Folks, I need your diet suggestions and low calorie recipes. I need to lose weight before I become a prize sow.

Have you lost weight? Please share your story.

Are you trying to lose weight at the moment and also need motivation and support?

Have you failed and would like to give it another shot?

I want to hear about your success and failures. Please…
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check our my personal blog Hidden Content

Well, after a bunch of diets in my own lifetime, the only one that ever really works is the one you're comfortable with. For me (and this is thanks to health reasons) that means cereal for breakfast, chicken or fish for dinner, and some fruit for desert and for snacks, maybe popcorn.

Whatever you do eat healthy. Don't fall for the fad diets.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Have you lost much weight, Stan? Health is certainly a wake-up call to lose weight.

Well, after a bunch of diets in my own lifetime, the only one that ever really works is the one you're comfortable with.
    So true! This is why I am struggling. I'm not comfortable with any diet. And the only thing that motivates me is the fact that I am beginning to resemble

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	budda.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	8632

When I sit at my computer
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I've had a FitBit tracker for more than a year now and for me it works. There are a bunch of trackers out there. The only difference is cost and how many bells and whistles are included. I have a Flex, just basic...tracks my steps/calories burned and you can make a friend board and virtually compete with others. But there are a lot of people who try trackers and put them aside eventually.

It depends on how motivated someone is to exercise. If it's somebody active already it can be that visual boost to do those extra steps...extra miles whooohoooo... But I suppose for people who tend to get unmotivated it almost mocks them...you only walked 213 steps today...bah humbug. Like I said though it works for me. No special dieting, just staying more physically active than average.

My personal favorite weight loss aids-FitBit Flex, a well stocked MP3 player, and two big strong doggies that run me nightly.

I probably lost about a hundred pounds total give or take. I was down to about 150 pounds at one point. I'm maybe up to about 165 now. I probably need to walk more.

My biggest thing is to stay away from sugars and high fat foods. The latter was hard to do for the longest time but after you get your health scare it seems a heck of a lot easier.

Now if only my mother could figure it out (she has high blood pressure, sugar, etc)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

I think the best target for regular folk to lose is 2 pounds per month, as any more than that usually requires really excessive dieting and loss of water weight instead of fat. A series of small but comprehensive modifications to current diet, like habitually using less and less butter, sugar, oil and salt in diet is usually the best way to go for most people who aren't motivated to reduce their intake below 1500 calories. Drastic changes are most likely going to be unsustainable, afterall, food is comforting and pleasurable and shouldn't be anything different.

But I also find women are a bit too preoccupied with body image and weight and exaggerate how overweight they are. I honestly don't mind a woman with an appetite and a bit of cushion.
    Welcome to WF!
    Feeling lost? Want to connect with experienced members of the forum? Then meet our talented staff of Hidden Content !
    They're always looking to help and advise and don't bite... much...

Quote Originally Posted by Loveabull View Post
    It depends on how motivated someone is to exercise. If it's somebody active already it can be that visual boost to do those extra steps...extra miles whooohoooo... But I suppose for people who tend to get unmotivated it almost mocks them...you only walked 213 steps today...bah humbug. Like I said though it works for me. No special dieting, just staying more physically active than average.
    I was motivated to exercise when I was slimmer. Now, apart from pilates *I can still bend down and touch the floor* I find it more difficult to motivate myself to attend the zumba classes or swim. I've started swimming again this week and aim to do 20 lengths of the pool every day. I'm still psyching myself up to zumba as I have to go by myself and I'm the only English person there.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveabull View Post
    My personal favorite weight loss aids-FitBit Flex, a well stocked MP3 player, and two big strong doggies that run me nightly.
    I'll check out the FitBit Flex. thanks
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hey Pip,

I have been doing a basic J.J. Virgin eating plan for 2 years now. Finally found the one that works for me. I've cut out gluten, sugar and dairy (99%) of the time. And carbs are limited to the complex low-glycemic variety (such as brown rice, sweet potato, quinoa, fruits, vegetables, lentils). For the first time in my adult life, I felt in control of my cravings and I attribute this to the effect this has had to stabilize my blood sugar. The great thing about it is you don't have to count calories, just eat the right things at the right time.

My exercise for the last 15 years was mainly tennis but I played constantly. Back in November, I got sciatica (OMG it hurts) and had to stop playing for about six weeks, and have not gone back to playing at the frequency I played before. So we've started walking several times a week to supplement.

And I do a 30 minute exercise routine a couple of times a week - literally in front of the bathroom mirror with weights - before I jump in the shower. Keeps the muscles sort of toned although with each year that passes my muscle tone seems to degenerate just a little more despite the weights. Getting old SUCKS BIG ONES.

Anyway, that is what has been working for me

Have you considered replacing personal exercise with a team sport? It could help if you struggle with motivation.
    ​[REDACTED]

My son gave me a Fitbit and I like it, though I only use it to keep track of my steps per day. You can set it to whatever your goal is and increase it as you go. The only thing is that it startles me each time it buzzes to let me know I reached my goal steps.
    Ii am not an overweight person, but it is harder to stay toned as you age. My most favorite thing to eat is salad with grilled chicken on it and red wine vinager for dressing. I never get tired of it and there are so many veggies you can use. Also, cutting out any added suger or highly processed foods.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast