Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Cigarette (167 words)

My First Cigarette (167 words)

I learned how to smoke when I was 8 years old.

It was an extremely hot summer afternoon as if it just rained fire balls. Oo Yan (my playmate, her name means gleaming black eyes )and me hung out in the wood shed of our village. All of a sudden I had an idea. I told Oo Yan that I wanted to learn how to smoke and I could steal my father's cigarettes. She agreed. Therefore, I snuck into my father's room and stole two cigarettes from the pack plus a box of matches. Oo Yan took one and me another. We lit up our cigarettes with a match and then started to smoke like adults. But the smoke was so freaking spicy that we coughed like we were sick old women and could not hold back our tears.

Luckily, we didn't set the woodshed on fire. And that was a shame that my attempt of learning how to smoke was a complete failure. That was my first cigarette and also my last one.

(I spent my childhood in a hilly area of Southern China)
    Last edited by xiaoman; March 10th, 2016 at 04:42 AM.

xiaoman said: "And that was a shame that my attempt of learning how to smoke was a complete failure."

I don't see any reason why you should regard such a failure as a shame.

You should thank God for your so-called "shame" as it turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

This is a charming anecdote and is so typically the sort of thing that children come up with. It certainly worked as a deterent for you, xiaoman - you never smoked again. Probably not a method to be recommended though. lol.

Thanks for posting this little gem.

jen
    Just starting out on the adventure of poetry? Why not try the Poetry Hill Challenge where you will receive one to one advice and suggestions for ways to work with your poem. Check it out here

My Poems

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoman View Post

It was an extreme hot summer afternoon as if it just rained fire balls. Oo Yan (my playmate, her name means gleaming black eyes )and me hung out in the wood shed of our village. All of a sudden I had an idea. I told Oo Yan that I wanted to learn how to smoke and I could steal my father's cigarettes. She agreed. Therefore, I snuck into my father's room and stole two cigarettes from the pack plus a box of matches. Black Eye took one and me another. We lit up our cigarettes with a match and then started to smoke like adults. But the smoke was so freaking spicy that we coughed like we were sick old women and could not hold back our tears.

Luckily, we didn't set the woodshed on fire. And that was a shame that my attempt of learning how to smoke was a complete failure. That was my first cigarette and also my last one.

Dear xiaoman,

This short story reminds me of many similar deeds children tend to do when they're younger. From cigarettes & alcohol to sneaking out after curfew & hanging out with a crowd your parents don't like. They don't necessarily do it because they want to, but because their parents told them not to do it. It peaks their curiosity when they are told not to do something. Well, at least that's how I was anyway!

I enjoyed how this tale reminded me of when I was still a child. I have to admit though, I'm pretty glad your attempt was a total failure since smoking can be quite addicting and deadly. Although, correct me if I am wrong, but your experience is usually how it goes for first timers who aren't used to smoking.

I only wish your story was more detailed. Like for example you could have explained how you tip towed into your father's room and grabbed the cigarettes off his nightstand as he snored loudly. That is my personal opinion of course.

All and all, I enjoyed your story! Hope to see more in the future!

Sincerely,
    Christian Rodriguez
    The Newbie Writer

Good that it was the last, an old friend of mine couldn't join the military because he had ruined his lungs with smokes starting from age 8.

Glad it was your last! Keep it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoman View Post

It was an extreme hot summer afternoon as if it just rained fire balls. Oo Yan (my playmate, her name means gleaming black eyes )and me hung out in the wood shed of our village. All of a sudden I had an idea. I told Oo Yan that I wanted to learn how to smoke and I could steal my father's cigarettes. She agreed. Therefore, I snuck into my father's room and stole two cigarettes from the pack plus a box of matches. Black Eye took one and me another. We lit up our cigarettes with a match and then started to smoke like adults. But the smoke was so freaking spicy that we coughed like we were sick old women and could not hold back our tears.

I like the following comparison because of the imagery.
    "It was an extreme hot summer afternoon as if it just rained fire balls."

I'm assuming that the grammar error is intentional.
    "Oo Yan and me hung out..."

How well does this read?
    "It was an extreme hot summer afternoon..."
    I think that extremely reads better than extreme. The adverb flows better than the adjective.
    Last edited by curtis; July 24th, 2015 at 11:34 PM.

You grew up in China?

That's actually pretty amazing.

That aside, it was a fun little memory-story that you've posted; everyone surely has a fun little tale from their childhood.

When I was a kid the worst thing we thought we could do was to sneak a cigarette. Now they are bringing guns and knives to school and killing people. But I am glad that your initial smoking experiment proved to be your last. When something has a negative effect on you it is a clear warning to stay clear of it.

I liked this because it reminded me of my first - and only - cigarette, smoked when I was sixteen, sixty-three years ago. Sort of nostalgia by proxy, one might say. Cj
    Even though the darkest clouds are in the sky,
    You mustnít sigh and you mustnít cry.
    Spread a little happiness, as you go by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast