Fragments - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Fragments

This is a thread about fragments, Gamer, not dashes.

And while that is a gramatically correct sentence, it doesn't have the same punch. It has two distinct pauses: one for the comma, and another for the ellipsis. It loses the rataplan beat of the fragmented version.

There is nothing improper about fragments when used correctly, by the way. Unless we're talking about formal or academic writing.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

Love fragments. They make it possible to establish a unique voice.
    It all starts with a name and flows from there. A ridiculous moniker springs to mind and it launches like a multi-lubed slippery-sloop down chutes made of buttery-floops. Down, down, down. We watch, spellbound. Rapturous. Glockenspiel. We do our due diligence with penitence and penicillin. Do whatís due, then dew drops on your moon-pops.

I just happened to see this one -- using the fragment as a heading.

"My arrest. The Downtown Civic Club met for lunch..." [continues the story of him being arrested]

That's John Grisham. I've done it too. And Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games). Those are all first-person present, so it might be a perspective thing.
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456