Wow, I did that damn well! - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow, I did that damn well!

Well, no, Tettsuo...I don't mean posting a piece of your writing with an apology in front of it. I mean you post a piece of your writing introduced with something like this: "This is mint! I'm not changing a thing no matter what any of you say, because any changes would spoil it. This is my best writing polished to a shine. It's great and needs no changes. Just thought I'd share it."

Have any of you written something like that? Something that really makes you proud? I have. I'm just debating whether to post some or not. So often, people mistake enthusiasm and confidence for arrogance, it seems like you almost have to introduce your writing with some kind of belittling disclaimer. But I know great writing, whether I read it or write it, and I can tell you why it's great.
    Last edited by John Oberon; June 8th, 2015 at 07:17 PM.
    John Oberon
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Oberon View Post
    Well, no, Tettsuo...I don't mean posting a piece of your writing with an apology in front of it. I mean you post a piece of your writing introduced with something like this: "This is mint! I'm not changing a thing no matter what any of you say, because any changes would spoil it. This is my best writing polished to a shine. It's great and needs no changes. Just thought I'd share it."

Have any of you written something like that? Something that really makes you proud? I have. I'm just debating whether to post some or not. So often, people mistake enthusiasm and confidence for arrogance, it seems like you almost have to introduce your writing with some kind of belittling disclaimer. But I know great writing, whether I read it or write it, and I can tell you why it's great.
    Huh? That's not what the thread is about. It's about simply being happy with something you've written.

The disclaimer was needed simply because no one would even get what the scene was about as it's at the tail end of what's probably going to be nearly 500 page novel. It's totally lacking in context. Plus, it was completely not reviewed by my editor... at all. That's raw text that I reviewed once.

I've written and entire novel that I'm proud of.
    Where you can purchase a copy of Fallen Sun, my second novel. Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Just to add...

I'm not apologizing for anything. I'm explaining why the scene would be difficult to understand. I'm not sorry for any of it.

I mean you post a piece of your writing introduced with something like this: "This is mint! I'm not changing a thing no matter what any of you say, because any changes would spoil it. This is my best writing polished to a shine. It's great and needs no changes. Just thought I'd share it."

Have any of you written something like that?
    I feel that way about every story I submit for publication.

Whether or not slush-readers and editors agree with me, though, is another thing.

Fine...you're not sorry for it, but you're not happy with it either, Tettsuo. I just never see anyone post anything and stand behind it as something finished and good. It's ALWAYS "Well, I know it still needs some editing", "raw text", "needs review", or whatever. I would just be interested in someone posting something and saying "This is me hitting on all eight, baby!". Then maybe someone else says, "You think that's good? Look what I wrote last night!" No more damn apologies, "quick drafts", or "a few problems", just "Look at this awesome piece I wrote. I feel like Hemingway when I show this to people." Have you written anything like that?

I wasn't asking for writing you're not sorry for, big deal...I'm not sorry for any of my stuff either. Post something and introduce it with something like "This is some of my absolute best writing. I really can't do much better than this. I love showing this to people because it shows what an outstanding writer I am."
    Last edited by John Oberon; June 9th, 2015 at 01:22 AM.
    John Oberon
    Hidden Content

Thanks to Gav's idea, we now have a thread - click
    Je suis Charlie.

"My ambition is handicapped with laziness." - Charles Bukowski
    "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” but “That’s funny…” - Isaac Asimov
    "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine." - Alan Turing
    "Physicists are made of atoms. A physicist is an attempt by an atom to understand itself.” - Michio Kaku
    "No fighting in the War room!" - Dr. Strangelove
    "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed" - The Internet

In memory of Pandora, a beautiful butterfly spreading its wings above the Earth's realm...

Alrighty....I'll pick something of mine out and post it there.
    John Oberon
    Hidden Content

Dallas TX, At least till I can escape back to the Mountains.
    The one time that I can say this to myself is at my critique group. We are allowed 2500 words each session so for me that is 2 to 3 scenes or a chapter.

The last 2 months I keep getting comments during the reading that tell me readers are emotionally buying in.

I have heard murmurs like “I like where this relationship is going.” Or “he is so getting laid.”

Even if the comments are left handed like, “I like this character and I think you’re an ass hole for what you are putting her through.”

And one reader expressed rage at a scene where there was a fly by. She was got caught up in the story to the point she complained “all this danger all this expense all this planning for a flyby?”

I get thrilled with this kind of emotional buy in. Honestly I have no idea how I am doing it.
    Sleep in fear: Viking is a verb!

Getting shot at is not so bad; getting hit kinda sucks.

Slippery slope...

So many times I think something is so good and someone points out flaws I cant dispute...

If someone else says to ME I cant believe you wrote that... then were talking

Blog Entries
    Fine...you're not sorry for it, but you're not happy with it either, Tettsuo.
    Yeah, I am. You're wrong.
    I just never see anyone post anything and stand behind it as something finished and good. It's ALWAYS "Well, I know it still needs some editing", "raw text", "needs review", or whatever. I would just be interested in someone posting something and saying "This is me hitting on all eight, baby!". Then maybe someone else says, "You think that's good? Look what I wrote last night!" No more damn apologies, "quick drafts", or "a few problems", just "Look at this awesome piece I wrote. I feel like Hemingway when I show this to people." Have you written anything like that?
    That's nice if you believe that's what this post was about. Others appear to understand what I was saying.

So the real question is: Why are you asserting a perspective that totally different than everyone else?

I wasn't asking for writing you're not sorry for, big deal...I'm not sorry for any of my stuff either. Post something and introduce it with something like "This is some of my absolute best writing. I really can't do much better than this. I love showing this to people because it shows what an outstanding writer I am."
    John, you brought up the whole, "I don't mean posting a piece of your writing with an apology in front of it. " I wrote no apology. Again, that's you reading into something that didn't need to be read into.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast