[Health] Do you smoke? - Page 7

Poll: Do you smoke?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [Health] Do you smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Thanks for that blanket condemnation of smoking parents. I'll be sure to tell my son, who is under the apparently mistaken belief that I love him.
    And next year we're going to get you for feeding your kid any donuts, deserts, breakfast cereals, wheat, sugar, apple pie, milk products, mcdonalds, egg mc muffins, eggs, bacon, meat products; living in a dirty-air town, driving a dirty-air car, thinking of driving in a dirty air car; acting upset, being upset, being negative, thinking bad thoughts, projecting bad thoughts, not having a smiley face, not being cheerful, insufficient cheerfulness, mentioning anything negative, using the 'no'-word, using any word with 'n' in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    And next year we're going to get you for feeding your kid any donuts, deserts, breakfast cereals, wheat, sugar, apple pie, milk products, mcdonalds, egg mc muffins, eggs, bacon, meat products; living in a dirty-air town, driving a dirty-air car, thinking of driving in a dirty air car; acting upset, being upset, being negative, thinking bad thoughts, projecting bad thoughts, not having a smiley face, not being cheerful, insufficient cheerfulness, mentioning anything negative, using the 'no'-word, using any word with 'n' in it...
    Totally agree - those deserts are far too gritty for children.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenwales View Post
    I
    When they smoke around babies or young children. My cousins grew up with asthma, their father always smoked. Why don't people think of their children? I hate it when I see a woman pushing a buggy and their smoking.
    I agree. Their behaviour is selfish. I hate to see people smoking near children, especially young babies. Passive smoking is also a health hazard. Adults have the choice and should know better. Not so the innocent.

The best law in Portugal was to ban people from smoking in restaurants. The last thing I want when eating is to inhale cigarette smoke because someone does not have the manners to light up outside.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    I agree. Their behaviour is selfish. I hate to see people smoking near children, especially young babies. Passive smoking is also a health hazard. Adults have the choice and should know better. Not so the innocent.

The best law in Portugal was to ban people from smoking in restaurants. The last thing I want when eating is to inhale cigarette smoke because someone does not have the manners to light up outside.
    i hate the smoking ban here in indiana. the reason being, that over 70% of the restaurants and bars had already went non-smoking without the law. so before, people had a choice, with the non-smokers having far more choices already. some people just can't stand for others to have choices, though. so the totalitarian ban went into effect.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

I noticed a cartoon in the paper this morning, where a pharmacist is telling a customer "We're all out of antibiotics, but you can take a quarter pound of ground beef every twelve hours."

I wonder how many that will go over the head of

Site:
    Hidden Content

The simplest truths are written on the wall,
    where we see imaginary greatness in our fall.

My parents were such heavy smokers when I was little, they had a cigarette machine in the house. Some guy used to turn up and re-fill it periodically. They always smoked in the house. Things were different then though. The hazards of smoking weren't really known about generally and the passive smoking danger certainly wasn't public knowledge. Cigarette smoking was marketed as being really cool and there were even allusions to health benefits. Not only were there cigarette adverts in abundance on billboards and cinema screens, they were even advertised on television (the two channel black and white thing).
    So I think it would be a bit harsh to castigate parents for smoking in front of their children in an era when we knew a lot less. Indeed, the information about passive smoking wasn't prominent until the late 80s - in the UK anyway. This was some years after becoming more public about direct smoking.

Have a look at this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y_N4u0uRQ

There are more here:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ert+beneficial

Really, what chance did parents have against this sort of backdrop (rhetorical).

Anyone remember ads like these?

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

And check out Gertie's blog on her favorite top twenty-five albums between 1955-2017 Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Istine View Post
    My parents were such heavy smokers when I was little, they had a cigarette machine in the house. Some guy used to turn up and re-fill it periodically. They always smoked in the house. Things were different then though. The hazards of smoking weren't really known about generally and the passive smoking danger certainly wasn't public knowledge. Cigarette smoking was marketed as being really cool and there were even allusions to health benefits. Not only were there cigarette adverts in abundance on billboards and cinema screens, they were even advertised on television (the two channel black and white thing).
    So I think it would be a bit harsh to castigate parents for smoking in front of their children in an era when we knew a lot less. Indeed, the information about passive smoking wasn't prominent until the late 80s - in the UK anyway. This was some years after becoming more public about direct smoking.

Have a look at this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-y_N4u0uRQ

There are more here:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ert+beneficial

Really, what chance did parents have against this sort of backdrop (rhetorical).
    the so called "dangers" of second hand smoke have been extremely over-inflated anyway.....

http://www.davehitt.com/facts/epa.html
    Last edited by dale; June 4th, 2015 at 04:51 PM.
    "Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustard615 View Post
    No. It causes cancer and you die. Enough said
    If it did, everybody who ever smoked would, by now, be dead. There is absolutely no doubt that, in those susceptible to certain strains of cancer, smoking can trigger the event, other can smoke without getting cancer but may get chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD, a catch all including emphysema and chronic bronchitis). I, for instance, used to smoke up to 80 cigarettes a day, then 30 years ago I decided I didn't want to any more, so I stopped and, by a stroke of fortune, I have the lungs of a 50 year-old. When a child I used to make toys and things with bits of asbestos, slept in a Nissen Hut with an asbestos roof, yet I do not suffer from asbestosis - Nothing is a given, but if you smoke you are more likely to die of its effects than to be knocked down by a bus...

Interestingly, when I was no'but a lad, around 1950 we, as a family, would sit in cinemas with a capacity of one or two thousand, and 50% of the cinema-goers would be smoking - How is it that any of that generation are left alive?
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    i hate the smoking ban here in indiana. the reason being, that over 70% of the restaurants and bars had already went non-smoking without the law. so before, people had a choice, with the non-smokers having far more choices already. some people just can't stand for others to have choices, though. so the totalitarian ban went into effect.
    Hi Dale. I would not object if some restaurants allowed smoking It's just before the ban I had no choice whether I was forced to inhale smoke whilst I was eating. Can you understand what I'm saying? Smokers would light up on the table next to me and then rather than smoke the cigarette they would hold it in the 'pose' position while they chatted. The smoke would then drift across my meal while I was eating.

I'm all for compromise.

I realise there are various POVs whether passive smoking can cause cancer but personally I'd rather not take the risk.
    Last edited by PiP; June 6th, 2015 at 08:21 AM.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content