[Health] Do you smoke? - Page 14

Poll: Do you smoke?

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: [Health] Do you smoke?

I was briefly a social smoker, but I quit, though I occasionally vape. I could no longer justify giving increasingly large sums of money to companies who don't so the same for me, plus the idea of being a forty year old smoker with two children put me off, so ... no.

I notice that on this issue - not wishing to dig it up, but unable to help myself - people are very vociferous on their right to smoke. I think what they are arguing for is their identity, and smoking forms a part of that. Despite my objections, it certainly did for my mother, a career huffer whose reaction to the eventual lung cancer diagnosis she received can be best summed up by the notion of "consequence free smoking." This pronouncement was followeed by a Hepburnesque "The horse, my dear, has bolted" and a circling flourish of the holding hand.

But that's her. I'm not paying £7.50 / US$12 a box.

Quote Originally Posted by KLJo
    There is no person who will be shocked to hear, "those are bad for you," . . .
    Actually, there are. Many smokers believe cigarette smoke is not harmful. Nearly one third of smokers (statistically speaking) believe smoking is harmful, but only at a frequency higher than what they themselves partake in.

My personal belief is that no amount of smoking is safe—that each and every cigarette smoked is harmful to the body. It's not like you open a pack and some cigarettes in there are harmful and the rest are benign. When smoked, they all contain the same carcinogens.

And I don't hold anything against smokers for making their own decisions about what to do with their own bodies. If you love to smoke, more power to you. Smoke away! I wouldn't expect to tell you to quit smoking anymore than I'd expect you to tell me to quit surfing the internet (which I really need to quit doing . . . especially when I should be writing, instead! ).

Though I hope that those who continue smoking will be able to do so without any health consequences. Good health is one of those things that I find many people (myself included) sometimes take for granted—at least until something threatens it. I think it sucks that cigarette smoke has the potential to damage one's health. It's unfair to smokers—as they don't deserve health consequences any more than anyone else.

I do know, though, that many smokers believe themselves to be safe from the harmful effects of cigarettes. I also know of many people for whom that belief, sadly, turned out to be false.

I hope one day they invent cigarettes that smokers can enjoy with zero health risks. That'd be pretty awesome. Then my only complaint would be the scent of it.

Anyway, back to writing!
    Last edited by Kyle R; July 26th, 2015 at 02:25 PM.

I doubt that many smokers don't accept the dangers, but then again, there are a lot of things in life where people say "Well, it can't happen to me.". I do think the dangers are overblown. After all, you've got a large segment of the medical conglomerate getting billions of dollars for research and another bunch making billions from "stop smoking" therapies and equipment (most of which don't work), so it's not surprising. You don't see this level of social shaming and scare tactics for radon (the #1 cause of lung cancer in non-smokers according to the EPA's studies) - but that's a lot easier (and inexpensive) to get rid of, thus people won't make as much money.

I personally think that the bigger deniers are the 'social drinkers' - God forbid anyone try to talk the actual costs of alcohol on society. And they really glommed onto that "one glass of wine a day is healthy" spiel, like dogs and bones, man...
    Has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle R View Post
    Actually, there are. Many smokers believe cigarette smoke is not harmful. Nearly one third of smokers (statistically speaking) believe smoking is harmful, but only at a frequency higher than what they themselves partake
    That is not the same thing at all.

To the smokers in the thread. The next time someone says, "those are bad for you," try looking incredulously at the cigarette and then them before throwing it on the ground and stomping it out as dramatically as possible. Thank them profusely for saving your life. Try to use the words, "hero" and "savior".

The look on their face is hilarious.

Almost makes me want to start smoking just so I can do that, haha.
    If you're not sure how to take something I say, keep in mind that Bob Ross is my spirit animal. Hidden Content .

“The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.”
    Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

I gave up tobacco when I realised the implications. Be an addict, hand over large sums of money, die young, I don't think so, it's not even fun like some drugs. Let alone pay to benefit companies willing to lie and cheat to maintain control, and a government who spend it in ways I disapprove.
    A new story

I finally got 'A Family Business' recorded and loaded, all 37 mins of it, much longer than any I have done before.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by KLJo View Post
    That is not the same thing at all.

To the smokers in the thread. The next time someone says, "those are bad for you," try looking incredulously at the cigarette and then them before throwing it on the ground and stomping it out as dramatically as possible. Thank them profusely for saving your life. Try to use the words, "hero" and "savior".

The look on their face is hilarious.
    I had a particularly obnoxious stranger come up to me and rant at me that smoking was bad for my health - I replied that so was sticking one's nose in where it wasn't wanted.
    Has left the building.

I hate cigarette smoke. I don't want to breathe it at all. I hate that I have to hold my breath when I walk past someone who is smoking (outside of the mall or walking past me on the sidewalk). I hate that I can't open my living room window in the summer because our neighbours smoke outside and it blows in through our window. I've always hated that I have to smell someone else's choice to smoke.

My mom smoked through her pregnancy with me (she stands by the "they didn't know what they know now" stance). Both of my parents smoked in our home and in the car when I was young. I remember crying and begging them to stop so much, they got tired of listening to me, and they both quit when I was five years old.

Thank goodness I was such a whiner. My parents have both been non-smokers for the past 30 years now and I'll likely have them in my life for many years longer, cancer free, (hopefully) because of my constant bitching at them!

If someone wants to smoke, I say go for it, I just wish I didn't have to breathe it when I'm near them.

All of those other things that are "bad" for us that have been discussed in this thread might very well be bad choices... but they don't affect me.

Someone who drinks a lot of alcohol around me, doesn't affect my liver. Someone who injects drugs around me, doesn't affect my brain. Someone who keeps a gun under their kitchen cabinet, doesn't endanger me. Someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt, doesn't risk my life.

Secondhand smoke affects all of us that are exposed to it. I just wish I didn't have to worry about my health because of someone else's choice. Plus, it's stinky.
    for kyle: Freel Barter Braby Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Someone who drinks a lot of alcohol around me, doesn't affect my liver.
    Unless that's one of the body parts destroyed when that drunk driver plows into your car, or runs over you in the crosswalk, or beats you senseless in a drunken rage.

Someone who injects drugs around me, doesn't affect my brain.
    See above.

Someone who keeps a gun under their kitchen cabinet, doesn't endanger me.
    Until they get drunk or high or just plain angry and decide to shoot up the mall you're in. Or they get careless and their kid shoots you "by accident".

Someone who doesn't wear a seatbelt, doesn't risk my life.
    But, along with drugs and alcohol, it contributes to higher and higher insurance rates as we pay for the additional medical and civil costs involved when an accident takes place. But those are all costs that people don't want to think about - because drugs and alcohol and guns and seatbelts don't "stink".
    Has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Unless that's one of the body parts destroyed when that drunk driver plows into your car, or runs over you in the crosswalk, or beats you senseless in a drunken rage.

See above.

Until they get drunk or high or just plain angry and decide to shoot up the mall you're in. Or they get careless and their kid shoots you "by accident".

But, along with drugs and alcohol, it contributes to higher and higher insurance rates as we pay for the additional medical and civil costs involved when an accident takes place. But those are all costs that people don't want to think about - because drugs and alcohol and guns and seatbelts don't "stink".
    Those reasons that you mention would be the person doing something bad with those substances. I'm not saying I dislike the smoker. I dislike the smoke. I dislike that I am forced to inhale someone else's smoke when they are smoking near me.

I am not forced to drink someone else's whiskey when they drink beside me at the bar. I am not forced to snort someones coke when I'm with them at a party. I am not going to be affected by someone's food choices when I'm sitting beside them in a restaurant. It's not like their burger will clog my arteries.

If a person sitting beside me in the restaurant decides to light up a cigarette, their secondhand smoke does affect my health. That's why I don't like it.
    for kyle: Freel Barter Braby Hidden Content