Are these words acceptable - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are these words acceptable

At this point in time I don’t have posting privileges in the poetry section– it’s the law of the land as determined by the powers that be who govern this site. One day tho, (couldn’t resist) things will change and I’ll be found fit and able to climb that mountain and soar with eagles. Until then, I sit watchfully by the gate with begging-bowl in hand. (Sigh)
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by going4it View Post
    InstituteMan has nailed it. Look and layout are of paramount importance.

Thanks,
    Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG. There is so much bad "poetry" out there because people think how a poem looks is more important than how it's written. It's gotten to the point where people just type out a paragraph with creative line spacing and call it a poem. For example:

The frost on the trees
    White like lace
    Or fine sand
    Sparkles in the sun
    That golden orb
    That fiery eye.

Terrible, right? But plenty of people would call that poetry.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story." - Tom Clancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG. There is so much bad "poetry" out there because people think how a poem looks is more important than how it's written. It's gotten to the point where people just type out a paragraph with creative line spacing and call it a poem. For example:

The frost on the trees
    White like lace
    Or fine sand
    Sparkles in the sun
    That golden orb
    That fiery eye.

Terrible, right? But plenty of people would call that poetry.
    Wrong. Poetry is what the poet meant when writing it, and what the reader/listener understands by reading/hearing it.

There is poetry everywhere. Even in just a photograph.

Poetry does not have to scan or rhyme or have any particular meter - it just is.
    If you talk to a cat they look at you as if you are way below their intelligence to even listen.
    However, when you talk to a dog they look at you with such admiration and really do seem to understand what you are saying.
    Even if it is a bit silly...
    ...they still think you are wonderful.

Like sonata says:

Which brings to mind Joyce Kilmers’s "Trees":
    "I think that I shall never see
    A poem lovely as a tree."

Last edited by going4it; May 24th, 2015 at 06:46 PM. Reason: word orrection

Quote Originally Posted by going4it View Post
    Are words like… tho, thru,…and so forth, acceptable in poetry
    Thanks
    Rob

In spoken or slam poetry, you wouldn't be able to tell.

In written poetry, if it matches the rest of the language, it would be okay. If you use words like "gonna" then "tho" would fit right in.
    Everything you want is just outside your comfort zone.
    — Robert G. Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    Wrong. Poetry is what the poet meant when writing it, and what the reader/listener understands by reading/hearing it.

Poetry does not have to scan or rhyme or have any particular meter - it just is.
    Saying something is "everything" isn't much different from saying it's nothing at all. I might as well call my novel poetry, or the program I coded at work last week.

I suppose I understand the concept of poetry in an abstract sense, just like something "modern" is anything that's contemporary. However, in addition to those general definitions, I believe something more specific exists - poetry as writing with deliberate construction and artistic intent, or modernism as the precursor to post-modernism with its particular styles and goals.

If there's not a right and a wrong way to write poetry - if there's no such thing as better or worse - why bother at all? And if poetry DOES have those qualities, then there's a whole lot more to it than "it just is."
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story." - Tom Clancy

to me they are old sounding words and recently reading anne sexton's 45 mercy street i was struck how she uses what i consider old words in a modern way..i guess it's all open to interpretation by the reader and fact may not be the main concern..you can use any word if you feel like using it i would say..
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Again referring to Joyce Kilmers’s poem "Trees":

There is a beauty in ‘simplicity’ that is not always apparent. J. Kilmer, was roundly criticised by fellow scholars at Columbia University, as well as other in the literary community, for being a touch too simplistic and sentimental in his writing.

He obviously did understand and was privy to the essence and power that resonates in ‘simplicity’. Why would I say that, well, over the years his little poem has become a bit of a phenomenon. Google and YouTube his name you will see what I mean.

Trees first published in 1914, was put to music and sung by Paul Robeson in 1939. Since then it has been recorded by the likes of, Nelson Eddy, Mario Lanza, Bob Mcgrath, Perry Como, Fred Waring Orchestra and Singer…the list goes on and on.

Despite his scholarly standing he was still able reach out to everyday folk and present them with a little gem they could relate to and would grow to love. His critics at the time are pretty well forgotten. He, on the other hand, figures prominently as a generous and thoughtful human being.

Best regards,
    Rob
    Last edited by going4it; May 26th, 2015 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Word correction

if there's no such thing as better or worse - why bother at all?
    Adornment. Flourish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12