Protester or Protestor?

Thread: Protester or Protestor?

Grantham, Lincolnshire - home of Isaac Newton and some woman whose name I've forgotten

Protester or Protestor?

Hello folks

If an operator is somebody who operates, why isn't a protestor somebody who protests?

According to a couple of dictionary references, 'protestor' is just fine but I think most of us choose to use 'protester'.

Why is this so?

I'm glad we've had this little chat.

All the best with your writing.

Warmest regards
    Riis
    All writing is practise for the writing that follows.
    If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
    If you like intelligent contemporary conspiracy thrillers, you may want to check out The Bureau of Happiness
    Hidden Content

Funny how that works, huh?

From what I understand, it has to do with the origin of the word (words that have their origins in French or Latin seem more likely to have the or suffix).

Here's some interesting reading material on the matter: http://calworks.helpscc.org/index.ph...mar&Itemid=924

If both options of the word you're using mean the same thing and are both listed in the dictionary as acceptable, I'd choose the one that's most common in the region you'll be publishing.

Grantham, Lincolnshire - home of Isaac Newton and some woman whose name I've forgotten
    Hello Kyle

Makes sense.

While walking my dog I also thought about a reporter who reports and a painter who paints.

All the best with your writing.

Warmest regards
    Riis
    All writing is practise for the writing that follows.
    If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
    If you like intelligent contemporary conspiracy thrillers, you may want to check out The Bureau of Happiness
    Hidden Content

Interesting. I would intuitively say that a protester is a member of a group protesting whereas each individual is a protestor...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Yair . . . there always seems to be some confusion about "welder" and "weldor".

Some definitions imply welder to be the machine and the same spelling is applied to the operator . . . I have always referred to the operator as a "weldor" and the "welder" is the devise supplying the juice.

A quick Google seems to indicate I am incorrect. Ah well.

Cheers,