A grammar question

Thread: A grammar question

A grammar question

Hopefully this will be a quick one... Is this grammatically acceptable?

"A building was in the distance, a very insignificant looking place."

The reason I use the word "acceptable" is because I believe a lot of writers will write in styles that may not be entirely correct and I know I do it, too; but, I find it to be an interesting trait for all writers. I just wanted to know if it makes sense for me to write like this... "sentence, brief description of noun used in sentence".

Yes.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got into my pyjamas I'll never know." ~ Groucho Marx.

"It is better to be feared than loved, if one cannot be both". ~ Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer". ~ Bruce Lee.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few". ~ Shunryu Suzuki.

"Give a man a mask and he will show you his true face". ~ Oscar Wilde.

"He who learns but does not think is lost; he who thinks but does not learn is in great danger". ~ Confucius.

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, personally I would put the sub clause directly next to the thing being described:-

"A building, a very insignificant looking place, was in the distance"

In this instance it makes little difference, people are unlikely to think 'the distance' was 'very insignificant looking', however appropriate it may seem, but it also makes for a smoother read if you don't have to mentally dodge back and forth in the sentence. As I say 'In this instance ...', but it can get confusing sometimes.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

I read it as you describing the distance as insignificant, so as Olly said, I had to go back and re-read it. I think it would be awkward as part of a description.

It is not "wrong," it just looks clumsy, but context is all. If the narrator is a working class person, then that would probably be the way they express themselves; a rather more educated person might say: "There was, in the distance, an insignificant building." I don't think, in either case, you need the "looking."
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Grantham, Lincolnshire - home of Isaac Newton and some woman whose name I've forgotten
    Hello The

Or maybe even: 'A very insignificant-looking building in the distance.'

All the best with your writing.

Warmest regards
    Riis
    All writing is practise for the writing that follows.
    If it jams, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.
    If you like intelligent contemporary conspiracy thrillers, you may want to check out The Bureau of Happiness
    Hidden Content

It seems like a misplaced modifier. The reader will figure it out, but I think there's a bump and it's not smooth writing.
    How to write a good start: Hidden Content . Useful, original information. Long and thorough.
    Includes Hidden Content (do you start with description?), Hidden Content (a favorite with publishers apparently), starting with Hidden Content (a lost art), and more.

I agree with the others - grammatically correct but a little awkward.

I am puzzled by those who pose questions but don't acknowledge that they have been answered...
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.

Quote Originally Posted by InnerFlame00 View Post
    I agree with the others - grammatically correct but a little awkward.
    I don't believe that's what others are saying at all. It's grammatically incorrect, but it's "acceptable" because plenty of writing is grammatically incorrect.
    "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

"I do not over-intellectualize the production process. I try to keep it simple: Tell the damned story." - Tom Clancy