Random Question

Thread: Random Question

Question Random Question

If my work is posted here on this site is it considered already published at this point? The only reason I ask is I am wanting to get feedback on my work but some of it has already been posted on my blog. Don't want to break any laws or get into trouble if that makes sense.

Unless you have signed a contract with someone with specific rules involved, there is nothing preventing you from sharing here. Stick to the members only sections such as 'Prose'

If you want it published in the future though, how much of it is available for anyone to read online may be harmful to your efforts. Your work so your right to do what you want with it until the moment you sell/give it [rights] to someone else.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”― Mahatma Gandhi

If you want me to respond to a thread or your work just pm me.

I reckon this needs explained properly.

If you post something on these forums then yes, it is considered as published. And that is the same if you post something on your own blog. Unless your blog is private or the forum you post on is private then anything you post is considered as published. To publish something means to present it to the public.

If, however, you get an agent/editor/publisher they will tell you whatever work they are going to present for you needs to be uniquely attributed to them, meaning it cannot be in any other domain, it cannot be on any website, it cannot be on any forum, it cannot be on any other media - then you need to do a bit of work: you need to contact any webmaster who holds any of the said work and ask them to remove it or privatize it, depending on your publishers demands. If they don't remove your stuff then you're in an awkward place but you'll find most reputable sites such as this one, Writing Forums.com, will be on your side.

I'd say that most writers would tell you that, if you are an amateur and are just learning the ropes, using writing forums such as this will benefit your writing journey and there is no need to worry about publication or copyright laws at this moment.

If you are worried about how posting material on forums will impact your potential investability to possible publisher-type people, then worry not. Most writers/authors go through this process. And there is a whole wealth of help on the interwebs to guide you through the contrivance of authordom.

I would like to point out that the Workshops are members-only (with areas for Prose, Poetry, and Challenges), and therefore not visible to the internet at large. Therefore, anything you post there for feedback is not considered published and that is the Workshop area's primary purpose for existing. Any member can use the Workshop and it's a great place to share and critique.
    It all starts with a name and flows from there. A ridiculous moniker springs to mind and it launches like a multi-lubed slippery-sloop down chutes made of buttery-floops. Down, down, down. We watch, spellbound. Rapturous. Glockenspiel. We do our due diligence with penitence and penicillin. Do what’s due, then dew drops on your moon-pops.

What Plur says I have submitted to a couple of places that specifically said, "and if you have it in a private workshop in any form and we accept it we will ask you to remove it from there." But the fact that it was there did not impact first rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluralized View Post
    I would like to point out that the Workshops are members-only (with areas for Prose, Poetry, and Challenges), and therefore not visible to the internet at large. Therefore, anything you post there for feedback is not considered published and that is the Workshop area's primary purpose for existing. Any member can use the Workshop and it's a great place to share and critique.

Publishers at large usually consider places like our workshop unpublished since the access is restricted. It's considered the same as a critique group, which pretty much any publisher doesn't mind. But if you're in doubt it's always best to ask the publisher or agent.

"Life is a risk; so is writing. You have to love it." ~ Richard Matheson