How to stop going back and forth....

Thread: How to stop going back and forth....

How to stop going back and forth....

I'm sorry for my terrible title, I cannot remember the proper name for this. I seem to have a problem where I go back and forth between

"Mike jumped backwards, suddenly fearful for his life..."

and

"Mike jumps back, suddenly fearful for his life..."

How can I stop myself from doing this?

I guess you're talking about the tense shift between past and present. I find myself often using both in the first stab at composing a piece, either a first draft or notes. It just comes out that way, sometimes the imagination is now and sometimes it's then and I don't like stopping to correct it in that first gush. If tense issues are troubling a piece, they will get their own special edit, but usually I can just keep an eye on them in the second draft, when I've decided what I want.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. Steven Wright

"Fearful for his life, Mike leapt backwards." Expressing it this way eliminates the need for the clumsy "suddenly."
    A man in possession of a wooden spoon must be in want of a pot to stir.