So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 667


Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

  1. #6661
    DVLA have been making it really hard for me to renew my driving license, their latest move was to insist that I take a test of my peripheral vision. You have to sit in front of a screen looking at a red light and press a button every time a white light flashes. The red light moves about from time to time and the white ones can be anywhere. I was told I might have to do it several times as they were very exacting about what they would accept. First attempt I registered 100% of the flashes and no false positives, best possible score. I then had to do the standard 'Read the letters on the chart', one eye, then the other then both. My worst attempt was four lines below the minimum they accept, so they had better send me a new licence soon!
    Hidden Content

    A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

  2. #6662
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly Buckle View Post
    DVLA have been making it really hard for me to renew my driving license, their latest move was to insist that I take a test of my peripheral vision. You have to sit in front of a screen looking at a red light and press a button every time a white light flashes. The red light moves about from time to time and the white ones can be anywhere. I was told I might have to do it several times as they were very exacting about what they would accept. First attempt I registered 100% of the flashes and no false positives, best possible score. I then had to do the standard 'Read the letters on the chart', one eye, then the other then both. My worst attempt was four lines below the minimum they accept, so they had better send me a new licence soon!
    Haha, I'm having the same battle with MOT and car tax:

    "Renew your tax on line. Simply supply your sixteen digit number"
    "Okay, where's that"
    "Oh, we don't give it out."

    *palms face*


    Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge


    The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

    *

    Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous








  3. #6663
    Quote Originally Posted by bdcharles View Post
    Haha, I'm having the same battle with MOT and car tax:

    "Renew your tax on line. Simply supply your sixteen digit number"
    "Okay, where's that"
    "Oh, we don't give it out."

    *palms face*
    Are they asking for the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)? I think that's 17 characters, though.
    "He's done more damage with a pen than others have with a pistol."
    Re: Federico García Lorca

  4. #6664
    I am sort of hoping someone has the courage to read through my final version of my story in the workshop. I used ghotit as a way to circumvent my disability and dysgraphia. I will return the favor. Today's the last day for the contest.

    My day has been mixed so far. I make many mistakes I realize in the story. I tried to compensate by trying out a new software. I think it reads well but it was a lot of work to correct it. I don't want to quit writing (I will probably continue). I spent a lot of time and effort and I know it is only human to fail but I try harder. Reading out loud helps. If anyone is interested I can read a 10,000 word story. Just tell me what feedback someone is looking for.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

  5. #6665
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin View Post
    Are they asking for the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)? I think that's 17 characters, though.
    No such luck. I got it sorted though - found my V5C under a whole pile of other sh!t.

    Actually my wife found it. Under a whole pile of other crap. That was literally right in front of me.


    Hidden Content Monthly Fiction Challenge


    The first cut don't hurt at all
    The second only makes you wonder
    The third will have you on your knee
    s
    - Propaganda, "Duel"

    *

    Is this fire, or is this mask?
    It's the Mantasy!
    - Anonymous








  6. #6666
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Attic
    Posts
    606
    Blog Entries
    8
    I better go look at @glasshouse's story being as it is my day off.

    Yesterday my shift was one of those not doing very much shifts, the breathing is mandatory day at the off-shoot location. On days such as this I turn to my 'Greatest Short Stories Ever' book. Two stories stick in the mind this morning. One, about a middle aged Irish couple on their holiday, where the man spends his days on the beach saying things like 'Check out the crackers on that teenage girl, eh!' He was a foul dog, I don't think I'll go to a beach again, mistaken identity etc. 'Honey, he's putting his hand on her asss! mmm hhh, slobbber...[Bernard Maclaverty, author]

    The other one [Georgina Hammick] has a context of class re sitting room/drawing room/lounge issues, in dialogue. Finally she reflects on the protracted death of her husband. 'Y'know in those final six months he asked for sausages nearly every teatime. I think I served sausages twice in the whole period. I don't know why, I..I..I...'[cackle]

    That one gave me the shivers. Time to bulk buy sausages.

  7. #6667
    Shopping at the hardware shop was not a good experience. I had a shouting match with an English guy who refused to social distance in the shop and kept crowding my space. He was huge and when I signalled for him to move back he started shouting at me and telling me I was over-reacting as there are zero cases where we live. Not true. I told him to try shopping when you are high-risk when people won't respect the 2m rule. He then towered over me and told me not to be so overdramatic and a whole load of other verbiage about COVID, at this point all the pressure and stress from months of self-isolating/shielding was unleashed on this douchebag.

    Imagine a Pitbull Terrier with attitude taking on a Great Dane. He would not get out of my face so I bit him. Thank God I've learned such a choice selection of obscure obscenities and the not so obscure since joining WF.

    I never told my husband who was waiting in the car until we were driving home at which point he wanted to turn around and go back ... sigh. No need... I think the guy got the message.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content






  8. #6668
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    [/I]The other one [Georgina Hammick] has a context of class re sitting room/drawing room/lounge issues, in dialogue. Finally she reflects on the protracted death of her husband. 'Y'know in those final six months he asked for sausages nearly every teatime. I think I served sausages twice in the whole period. I don't know why, I..I..I...'[cackle]

    That one gave me the shivers. Time to bulk buy sausages.
    My Aussie mate told me that when his mum wanted to buy something she would serve her husband curried sausages every night until she had saved enough. She was the one who used to put him in the bath wit a bottle of Dettol in it once a week. She worked as a debt collector and had the highest recovery rate on the firm, just kept on turning up and being herself.
    Hidden Content

    A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

  9. #6669
    Busy!!! I took a small contract on to help the government adjust internally for Covid restrictions. Now I've just been sucked into a full-time job, assisting with Covid relief for the public. Not good for my writing...but how can one refuse? People need assistance.
    Sometimes in the waves of change we find our new direction...
    - unknown

  10. #6670
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Attic
    Posts
    606
    Blog Entries
    8
    You shouldn't bite him @Pip. Are you talking metaphor bite, or did you bite the big man? Oh well, I'm on your side. I'm sure you'll be okay, just in copspeak it'd be a [nerd voice] 'grevious bodily harm upon the disabled and obese gentleman purchasing medicinal vodka litre.'

    In my opinion that's a damn creepy crime he committed. I don't like men like that at all. Keep your f...ing distance, respect me, you slug. So lucky your husband didn't get out the car because he'd be vulnerable to laying the idiot out. But honestly you have to be careful, there's too little 'Man on the Clapham Omnibus' wisdom around, & too much 'another statistic for the pay packet, sergeant.'

    Ranty.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.