So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 659


Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

  1. #6581
    Quiet sort of day, the missus asked for a couple of leeks for dinner, when I dug them the ground was frozen for a couple of inches. Recorded and uploaded a new story to the channel, 11mins 32 seconds I think it was, 'A clinical approach', see my signature below. Just realised I didn't get notified my prescription was ready last week and I shall need it Monday, so already the week looks busier than normal
    Hidden Content

    A whole swathe of entertainment, all sorts of lengths, all sorts of stories, all with that 'Olly' twist.

  2. #6582
    Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    This is an attempt to let go of something that might keep me awake.

    Just recently, I gave a story I had written quite a while ago to a friend to read. I had done some new work on it, and wanted her opinion. It had been some time since I asked for her help, so I forgot one important thing - she never, ever gives a compliment!

    Still, I thought it would be okay. After waiting more than a week, she came knocking on my door tonight. She immediately launched into what she saw as wrong with the story, but couldn't seem to find the offending work on the pages she had.

    Then she said, "You say the child is six, but there are words in here that a six year old would never even know."

    "But," I said, "this is an adult talking about being a child, not becoming a child again."

    She stuck to her guns.

    "Would you," I asked, "talk like a six year old if you were telling someone about something that happened to you at six?"

    "Yes," she said.

    In frustration, I asked what she thought of the story.

    "Oh, it was okay," was all she said.

    You all here on WF have spoiled me. When I ask for input, you give me thoughtful responses. I wanted at least constructive criticism from my friend, but NO! Well, now I've told you so I can sleep better and a mental note to never ask her again.

    Maybe she doesn't like me, but is too chicken to say?


    Dear Sue, you said that your friend never gives a compliment....hummmm, that sounds painfully familiar to me....

    I read one of your earlier pieces, I don't remember if it was a short story, or part of a longer WIP, but I do remember the content, and it brought me to tears.... I remember commenting on it....{ it was a story about your husband, I believe}.... You have a way of bringing your reader in close, your work feels intimate and unpretentious....

    I feel sure you wanted an honest opinion from your friend, and an honest opinion would most certainly include negative comments, and would absolutely include positive feedback.... there MUST have been SOMETHING about your story that was good .... right? You must know that... Maybe she just does not enjoy reading.... Maybe she thought offering only negative feedback was helpful.... maybe she secretly is envious that you have this skill .... and maybe.... she does not realize her comments are always negative.. and maybe.... maybe, she is not really your friend....

    *shrug it off... **hugs***
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  3. #6583
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    Dear Sue, you said that your friend never gives a compliment....hummmm, that sounds painfully familiar to me....

    I read one of your earlier pieces, I don't remember if it was a short story, or part of a longer WIP, but I do remember the content, and it brought me to tears.... I remember commenting on it....{ it was a story about your husband, I believe}.... You have a way of bringing your reader in close, your work feels intimate and unpretentious....

    I feel sure you wanted an honest opinion from your friend, and an honest opinion would most certainly include negative comments, and would absolutely include positive feedback.... there MUST have been SOMETHING about your story that was good .... right? You must know that... Maybe she just does not enjoy reading.... Maybe she thought offering only negative feedback was helpful.... maybe she secretly is envious that you have this skill .... and maybe.... she does not realize her comments are always negative.. and maybe.... maybe, she is not really your friend....

    *shrug it off... **hugs***
    Bless your heart! I have thought of all of these things - the story I had updated was the chicken one - do you remember that one? You were so kind about it when I first put it here - I can't remember where it was, but I don't think it was a comp. Anyway, it has been a really long time since I have looked at that story and decided it needed some work, so I spent some time improving (I hoped). I asked her because she was nearby and acted interested enough to even say she would give me feedback. I am always open to constructive criticism; that is not a problem for me. She had not read it before. But yeah, I struggle sometimes because if I am sick or sad, she is always the first one to call. But there are other times when no matter how I say things, I am always wrong. She has opinions about how I raised my children, my relationship with my grandchildren, etc. and in the end, I'm always doing it wrong, no matter what. So, as I said, I just won't be asking her to read anything for me again. She had told another friend that she thought I was a very defensive person - but she seems to try and set those moments up, so yes I do sound defensive.

    Thank you so much for your kind words. They always mean so much to me.

    Sue
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.


  4. #6584
    Ahhhh yes, the chicken story.... I remember, and probably shared with you my "pet chicken story"... I loooove my little hens... so relaxing to watch them... I would like to read that story again....Sue, keep telling your wonderful stories....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  5. #6585
    But there are other times when no matter how I say things, I am always wrong. She has opinions about how I raised my children, my relationship with my grandchildren, etc. and in the end, I'm always doing it wrong, no matter what.
    She had told another friend that she thought I was a very defensive person - but she seems to try and set those moments up, so yes I do sound defensive.
    "Would you," I asked, "talk like a six year old if you were telling someone about something that happened to you at six?"

    "Yes," she said.
    This tells me all I wish to know about this person. They are not honest. They are narcissistic and manipulative. Period. Just my opinion, but yeah.
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

  6. #6586
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemajic View Post
    Ahhhh yes, the chicken story.... I remember, and probably shared with you my "pet chicken story"... I loooove my little hens... so relaxing to watch them... I would like to read that story again....Sue, keep telling your wonderful stories....
    Me too! I love hanging out with my chickens and find them very peaceful to watch. Very relaxing! Almost comforting in some strange way.

    On another note, I was just given a Guinea Hen as she was the only one left from her flock. I incorporated her into my chicken flock and.... NOT a peaceful bird. I can't imagine having a flock of these birds, she is so loud sometimes and talk about bossy...
    There is no life I know
    To compare with pure imagination.
    Living there you’ll be free
    If you truly wish to be.~ Willy Wonka

  7. #6587
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Me too! I love hanging out with my chickens and find them very peaceful to watch. Very relaxing! Almost comforting in some strange way.

    On another note, I was just given a Guinea Hen as she was the only one left from her flock. I incorporated her into my chicken flock and.... NOT a peaceful bird. I can't imagine having a flock of these birds, she is so loud sometimes and talk about bossy...
    lol, yes, Guineas are loud, but the up side is that they are good watch dogs.... nothing... and I mean nothing escapes their attention....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  8. #6588
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    and.... she is so loud sometimes and talk about bossy...
    sounds just like me!

    If we had more space, I'd love to keep chickens! Although my friend who keeps chickens informs me all they do is eat and poop, eat and poop. In fact, there is SO much poop, she doesn't know what to do with it. Like me she doesn't have much land, so keeping chickens in an Urbanisation has its drawbacks.
    Check out our showcase
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    or check out my personal blog, Hidden Content






  9. #6589
    Quote Originally Posted by PiP View Post
    sounds just like me!

    If we had more space, I'd love to keep chickens! Although my friend who keeps chickens informs me all they do is eat and poop, eat and poop. In fact, there is SO much poop, she doesn't know what to do with it. Like me she doesn't have much land, so keeping chickens in an Urbanisation has its drawbacks.
    I had the little tiny Bantam hens, not much larger than a Dove....when I worked in my flower beds, they followed me, hoping to find bugs or worms.... they were not messy at all and they never damaged my flowers... they were so sweet, I called them my little ladies... their eggs were small but perfect... 2 of their eggs was equal to 1 egg from the regular sized chickens ....
    She lost herself in the trees,
    among the ever-changing leaves.
    She wept beneath the wild sky
    as stars told stories of ancient times.
    The flowers grew toward her light,
    the river called her name at night.
    She could not live an ordinary life,
    with the mysteries of the universe
    hidden in her eyes....
    Author: Christy Ann Martine

    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal,
    love leaves a memory no one can steal....
    Author unknown.

  10. #6590
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire.majic View Post
    Ahhhh yes, the chicken story.... I remember, and probably shared with you my "pet chicken story"... I loooove my little hens... so relaxing to watch them... I would like to read that story again....Sue, keep telling your wonderful stories....
    Here's a link to the story, if you want to read it again - with updates! LOL! Thanks again for your interest.

    Quiet Like a Chicken (hope this works!)

    Sue
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This website uses cookies
We use cookies to store session information to facilitate remembering your login information, to allow you to save website preferences, to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners.