So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 627

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

Theglasshouse -- Have you tried Red Zinger? ​I'm unsure what it's made from, but I drink it with honey and it's both amazingly tasty and energizing. ZERO caffeine . . . . .

"I believe in nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of the imagination". Keats, ​Letters

"No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main . . . any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls -- it tolls for thee. " John Donne, Meditation XVII

sprained my ankle 3 to 4 days ago. I feel mentaly better now but physically drained. I will feel better tonight because I have been getting up earlier and earlier...
    striding and swagering rootlessness with out end the precious flow of life.

Watching Brief Encounter...I can recall going to the actual train station and spoke in the terrible frightful English accent from when I reached my hotel until I departed but alas I had no encounter to think on about but just a lovely time with my thoughts and notions...
    The only one who can heal you is you.

There was a woman on the radio the other day who runs adult reading classes. She was talking about how much benefit people get from stories, she rated it very high. So I am telling my friend who is a social worker about this and saying "How do I get in touch with illiterate people to tell them about my stories on YouTube?"
    That was when she told me about the lady who was a customer of hers who was saying she couldn't read at all.
    "I told her that's not really true, you know where the exit is, you always go in the ladies , not the gents, there are words you can read, why not go to classes?"
    She persuaded her, but she never went because to tell her where the class was and when it started they did it by sending her a text, and, although my friend read it for her, she was so angry she never went.

The other story was the woman on the radio. She said they were reading short stories and one of the students asked,
    "When do we get onto the good stuff?",
    "What do you mean",
    "Well, like Tolstoy and Shakespeare."
    So she started them on Othello, it took them months but after they had finished they were discussing it and she asked if the characters crossed the centuries, did they recognise any of them? One lady replied,
    "Yes, that Iago; I've been married to him for the last twenty five years."

Seriously though, how do I advertise my great selection of stories to the illiterate? Any ideas?
    \/ Can you get YouTube? \/

My stories, from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long,
    Hidden Content

Come and listen, there are hours of them, of all sorts from humour to SF.

Please mention it to your friends, this is the only advertisement I can afford, and word of mouth is the best advert ever.

For those who facebook, I have created a user page that the stories get copied over to, look for, Oliver Buckle, The Story Shack, and please give me a "like"

Word of mouth

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Word of mouth
    You live in Liverpool, know any illiterates you can tell?

Quote Originally Posted by clark View Post
    Theglasshouse -- Have you tried Red Zinger? ​I'm unsure what it's made from, but I drink it with honey and it's both amazingly tasty and energizing. ZERO caffeine . . . . .
    No I have not. I am going to say this. We have a house on this mountain. The climate is cold there (1000 feet in the air or the altitude) which we drive to get there on road. We don't earn a lot from it. Sometimes we do rent it to some tourists. Or people who do like the cold weather. The bulk of the garden is here where everything grows. I might buy it as a gift one of these days. We plant all sorts of things we find. The problem is we need people to water the plants. That costs some money (we even blamed them that the plants have been drying up). Thanks for mentioning it. I might actually grow it one day. My grandmother has been telling me to grow a tree. If anyone has any good suggestions besides red zinger I will try to get it. She wants it so I can remember her by it. I will have it as a project. There is a lot of fertile land. It does rain often. It's probably where most of the rain falls here. It's very rainy throughout the year.

I read some information and it does seem like a healthy drink with no caffeine. Thanks for the information Clark as I it seems like a good idea for growing. My mom who is diabetic drinks only one hibiscus cup at night are we doing it wrong? By the way it was rhpeat was the one who recommended to me so he has my thanks. Because of him I can buy hibiscus (as I know what it is). Red zinger sounds interesting and I will have to try it some time to taste it. If it's a healthy drink I will try it. My mother actually needs to reduce her blood sugar which is at 150 sometimes. I speculate she gets too hungry because of all the snacks a certain someone brings to my house. My thoughts are a dedicated herbal shop might have it. Since I have not seen it in the supermarket. However, thanks I am intrigued by the red zinger and will give it a try.

The other herbal tree I take which I translated is the following: Drumstick tree. It's good for diabetes supposedly since it has medicinal properties.

Also, about growing trees. It's like a running joke that you can't have enough flowers inside of a garden. My parents stop by every once in a while where they sell plants.
    Last edited by Theglasshouse; November 27th, 2020 at 01:13 AM.
    I would follow as in believe in the words of good moral leaders. Rather than the beliefs of oneself.
    The most difficult thing for a writer to comprehend is to experience silence, so speak up. (quoted from a member)

Thanksgiving.
    I was asked to bring two pumpkin pies to a friend's feast.
    Cooking is fun but I don't like baking pies.
    I also have been working some extra shifts to cover for a co-worker who is busy quarantining.

Got up early to bake the pies, I was using pre-made refrigerator pastry so I figured how hard can it be to mix everything up, pour into pie shells, and bake? They'll be done by 11 am no problem.

Hm, finally reading the recipe (day of the feast, of course) I see the pies take an hour and fifteen minutes to bake and then they're supposed to be chilled for four hours. Ridiculousness. I've got coffee, I can get this done, we'll cool the pies by hanging them out the car window on the way. It's an hour's drive...that'll work.

Started whipping up the recipe only to discover that not only don't I have enough evaporated milk, no problem I can substitute! But I also don't have quite enough roasted butternut squash that I prepared yesterday. From two whole squashes.

Sent husband to Dollar General to get canned pumpkin (which, btw, isn't really pumpkin...can be any of a variety of squashes) and he's up there with four other lost souls who had apparently also been sent by their wives to buy the exact same thing. No canned pumpkin but there were canned yams.

The clock had already moved well past the hard deadline for the pies to go into the oven by the time I got the yams, drained them, whipped them silly in the blender, and finished mixing up the pies.

Husband dosed me with some Fireball whiskey. Nerves settled somewhat.

At least the pies were baking, right? Don't ask me about the foil on the crusts. Don't. I remembered it well into the baking process when I started to smell Really Done crusts and belatedly tried to wrap them around with foil. Did not work at all. I finally left the crusts kind of draped with the foil and muttered, "Fine, kill yourselves, then" and shut the oven door.

The hard deadline to leave for the friend's house went by, pies still finishing up getting their edges all charcoaly and their innards set. I stuck a knife in their centers to check them and it felt more like I had inserted it into my right eye.

Stress headache battling three Tylenol, I was up to drive because my car was full of gas and my husband has a thing about not adjusting seats in the cars. He's always afraid that we'll adjust something, it'll break, and bam that'll be the last time we can adjust anything. There was no room in the cargo area to put the pies because the kids' crap is back there...I never remember to ask them to clear it out until I need the space. So they each carried a piping-hot pie on the laps (don't worry about them, they had hot pads underneath) and we took off.

Our friends are gracious people and were really wonderful about us showing up an hour late, stressed, carrying pies that were overdone around the crusts, and best of all I had forgotten the two cans of whipped cream for on top.

Thankfully, it actually did get better from there but I think an early bedtime sounds like a good idea.

I don't know...they all speak england

Quote Originally Posted by Theglasshouse View Post
    No I have not. I am going to say this. We have a house on this mountain. The climate is cold there (1000 feet in the air or the altitude) which we drive to get there on road. We don't earn a lot from it. Sometimes we do rent it to some tourists. Or people who do like the cold weather. The bulk of the garden is here where everything grows. I might buy it as a gift one of these days. We plant all sorts of things we find. The problem is we need people to water the plants. That costs some money (we even blamed them that the plants have been drying up). Thanks for mentioning it. I might actually grow it one day. My grandmother has been telling me to grow a tree. If anyone has any good suggestions besides red zinger I will try to get it. She wants it so I can remember her by it. I will have it as a project. There is a lot of fertile land. It does rain often. It's probably where most of the rain falls here. It's very rainy throughout the year.

I read some information and it does seem like a healthy drink with no caffeine. Thanks for the information Clark as I it seems like a good idea for growing. My mom who is diabetic drinks only one hibiscus cup at night are we doing it wrong? By the way it was rhpeat was the one who recommended to me so he has my thanks. Because of him I can buy hibiscus (as I know what it is). Red zinger sounds interesting and I will have to try it some time to taste it. If it's a healthy drink I will try it. My mother actually needs to reduce her blood sugar which is at 150 sometimes. I speculate she gets too hungry because of all the snacks a certain someone brings to my house. My thoughts are a dedicated herbal shop might have it. Since I have not seen it in the supermarket. However, thanks I am intrigued by the red zinger and will give it a try.

The other herbal tree I take which I translated is the following: Drumstick tree. It's good for diabetes supposedly since it has medicinal properties.

Also, about growing trees. It's like a running joke that you can't have enough flowers inside of a garden. My parents stop by every once in a while where they sell plants.
    Be careful with common names, there is a commercial tea called Red zinger, also there is a particular cultivar of hibiscus and one of bearded iris, (They both have a very nice dark red flower). The iris is not edible, I am not sure how bad for you it would be, but certainly uncomfortable.
    \/ Can you get YouTube? \/

My stories, from just over two minutes to just over sixteen minutes long,
    Hidden Content

Come and listen, there are hours of them, of all sorts from humour to SF.

Please mention it to your friends, this is the only advertisement I can afford, and word of mouth is the best advert ever.

For those who facebook, I have created a user page that the stories get copied over to, look for, Oliver Buckle, The Story Shack, and please give me a "like"