So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 567

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

Discovering that living with a menopausal woman is like setting up house in a minefield. The wrong sentence at the wrong time, and voila! WWIII! So lately, I've opted for being entirely silent. (And even being careful not to make too much noise with my footfalls, or, Heaven forbid, chew too loudly...)

If anyone's looking for me, I'll be in a tent in the back yard.

Just finished watching live coverage of the proms an looking out my window I counted four take away meals being delivered to the neighbors...my God you can't get more working class than that...might as well turn telly of put flat cap on an play wit ferret....
    The only one who can heal you is you.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Just finished watching live coverage of the proms an looking out my window I counted four take away meals being delivered to the neighbors...my God you can't get more working class than that...might as well turn telly of put flat cap on an play wit ferret....
    Makes me feel old. Nobody got meals delivered when I was young. I can remember the first Chinese opening in Harlow New Town, must have been about 55-60 years ago. A very middle class place. Working class people ate in cafes if they ate out, if they wanted to show off they were sophisticated they drank foul frothy coffee in Italian cafes. It cost as much as 6d a cup (2.1/2 p)when you could get a three course meal in an ordinary café for half a crown (12.1/2 p).
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

alot more overweight working class than middle class...

I really don't like hearing people talking outside when it's nearly 3 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    alot more overweight working class than middle class...
    That's new too, someone did a study back in the forties of weights and heights for teenage boys, boys from public schools were largest and heaviest, then Barnardo's boys, then grammar school boys, and then the rest. Go back a little further and ordinary soldier recruits in the first world war grew about two inches and put on a stone and a half in their first eighteen months service, quite a few working class lads had never eaten meat, certainly not in the quantity that bully beef made possible.
    People think of the first world war as awful, it wasn't for most soldiers most of the time, it was only so often that the powers that be thought they would try charging down machine guns, the rest of the time was spent digging ditches, which was probably what most agricultural workers did at home all winter, you got fed a decent amount of food and they had hospitals to look after you if you were ill or hurt; most working people could never afford a doctor back in England.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

If I look at pictures from 50,60,70 era of kids in local schools there are so few overweight kids....often none

A co-worker of mine named Liz is transitioning from male to female. She seems like a well-adjusted cat, and we often sit around on breaks and talk about motorcycles.
    Liz is actually one of the best workers in my department. I have philosophical issues with the whole gender dysphoria / trans political movement, but their issues are none of my concern. Liz is just a good person.

So, I was walking back from my cable shop and I saw Liz in front of the big old administration building. She started telling me about a Suzuki Boulevard she had her eye on. We talked for a few minutes.
    During that time, I got that "feeling". Y'know, it's a high-traffic area and I know people could see us hanging out and talking (like half the shipyard does). Still, you know you're conspicuous.
    For a very brief moment, I forgot Liz was "one of the guys" so to speak. I understood she was different. I know that she could probably feel those eyes on her a lot, silently judging.
    Right then, some guy walks by, casts a sideways glance, and smirks.
    I didn't even get it at first. At that moment, Liz was simply talking about a cool retro-inspired paint job for her new bike. We parted ways soon after, but that moment stayed with me.

I gravitate toward strong people. Steel sharpens steel. But it wasn't until that moment that I appreciated Liz' strength. Being constantly exposed to people's scrutiny and judgement toughens-up a person. It's the person's choice on whether or not it makes them callous or not.
    I hear Liz is applying for a promotion. I'll miss having her nearby, but she shows the kind of strength and work ethic that should be rewarded. I hope she gets the promotion. And chooses the red and white on her Boulevard bike.

"Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!"

Blog Entries
    Awesome!

Spent the weekend mowing front yard and back yard, weeding all of the flowerbeds, planting lemongrass, lavender, sunflowers, tea roses, periwinkle, leveling soil, re-establishing borders between lawn and flowerbeds, planted citronella, basil, rosemary, dill, and garlic chives, and transplanted a bougainvillea. Slowly, everything is taking shape. Next phase will be to mulch most of the flowerbeds, and pour river rock in others. Hauling soil, huge sacks of rock, and bag after bag of mulch... Such is my life, at the moment.