So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 558

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

A short while ago I received confirmation that I would only have to pay for a TV licence for part of the year as I will be age 75 later this year and people over age 75 don't have to pay. Today it was announced on the BBC news that from May next year people over age 75 who don't have low incomes will have to pay for a licence again, so I'll get free TV for just half a year. Oh well, easy come easy go.

I also appear to have put my back out, but I'll know tomorrow morning whether it will recover or not. I noticed it while I was carpentering in the garage. It's been particularly cold and wet in Kent today, so I may have got too cold. Come to think of it, I didn't even know that "carpenter" can be a verb until now, so at least I've gained something today.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Hope your back feels better soon. You can alternate heat and ice, and it should proffer some relief. 20 minutes heating pad, 10 minutes rest, 20 minutes cold, 10 minutes rest, etc.
    Her: (trying to be profound) If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    Me: (Hungover and really not in the mood) The only tool I have is a screwdriver, so every problem looks like I can solve it by screwing.
    Her: ....

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    A short while ago I received confirmation that I would only have to pay for a TV licence for part of the year as I will be age 75 later this year and people over age 75 don't have to pay. Today it was announced on the BBC news that from May next year people over age 75 who don't have low incomes will have to pay for a licence again, so I'll get free TV for just half a year. Oh well, easy come easy go.

I also appear to have put my back out, but I'll know tomorrow morning whether it will recover or not. I noticed it while I was carpentering in the garage. It's been particularly cold and wet in Kent today, so I may have got too cold. Come to think of it, I didn't even know that "carpenter" can be a verb until now, so at least I've gained something today.
    Just been reading a list of complaints prescriptive grammarians made, and verbs constructed out of nouns is quite a frequent one. They quite frequently start by saying 'There is no such word as … used as a verb.' Which is simply denying reality. Their reasoning usually goes something along the lines of the word being derived from a language in which this is not possible, not very relevant when it is Anglicised.

I always go for the hot bath to relax the muscles if my back is bad, then I wriggle my back up and down to make the water massage it. When I was working I would do it badly sometimes, then I would go and see a couple who practiced as osteopaths in T Wells, she has retired, but my missus still sees him occasionally, I don't know if he is taking new patients. You have my sympathy, the continuousness of it is wearing.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Courtesy of you know you're getting old when... thread

when your back goes out more than you
    The only one who can heal you is you.

tried on an experience
    not unlike a paint mixer
    for standing people.

i came out less green
    than i might have,
    barely blue and
    free from many odd
    combos associated with bruising.

learned several things.
    that's always good.
    may take a few days
    for me to fully embrace
    in that spirit.
    *preps notepaper*
    *heads out*
    *toward a path of pomes*

Quote Originally Posted by escorial View Post
    Courtesy of you know you're getting old when... thread

when your back goes out more than you
    Sorry dude.
    Does misery love company?

Power went out at 2:55 AM. I woke up, because I'm a freak with a sixth sense and knew the power was out. Instead of setting the alarm on my phone, I just half-slept fitfully for two hours.
    Reheated coffee on our gas stove, and walked to the bus stop. The road was closed because the idiot responsible for the power outage snapped a power pole over the road.
    Sped-walked down the hill to the ferry dock. Barely made it on the boat. 6 AM, and I'm already sweating.

Made it to work on time (Yay me!), and reported to my shop. After getting settled in, I noticed water near my desk. Turns out a steam pipe broke. So, will Winston get steamed like a lobster before facilities maintenance arrives?
    The rest of the day wasn't bad. Until that guy showed up with a 12' long 6" diameter steel bar he needed cut. Remember kids, physics is your friend.

But now I'm going to go grill some mango jalapeno sausages and snuggle with my wife. It's a good day.

"Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!"

Second day of heat: 102 . Two snakes: a gopher, couple hours later: a coachwhip,; one alligator lizard, small, chasing moth. Moth got away. One beehive nest at the high point of shed roof to wall. Uh-oh. That's our bedroom. Dead bees on master bedroom floor: lots. Wtf? Why die- ing? And how are they getting in? Scooped them, tossed them... out the window. They came back the next day, new ones dead, dying. Called a bee guy. He's comng in the morning. Uhg. How much is this going to cost? I'm sleeping on the couch. She's downstairs. I like bees, just not in my house. They gotta go.

Moshe the bee man came. Through broken Israeli he motioned and mumbled. He then set up a ladder, donned bee gear: hat, netting, white suit, gloves drilled two holes, struck honey, applied something- spray to get them out. He applied caulk to possible entrances upstairs, inside, cleaned up and again in broken Israeli communicated with hand signs etc. call him if they are still around Friday.
    Fingers crossed...

His ladder.... Heavy, long. When it got to bringing it back down there's a tipping point where you've lost your leverage and that thing can come down *bang!*- too heavy. I reached for the heavy end, caught it, nearly blew a hemoroid or an acl. "Cock-sucker!" - I think it helps. Say it loudly; not proud. Simply an exclamation. Helps with the focus. Anyway, I may have passed something on...

Yesterday was rough, Sunday was worse, today was blessedly normal...at least as normal as things can be when a decades long chapter of life closes. We made a donation of unused items to the local humane society and planted a peony for Cat Cat. Oddly enough the visit to the humane society helped. It reminded me why I like cats as much as I do. They are an entirely different sort of company than dogs...marvelous in their own way. While Cat Cat reigned, I didn't think I would be open to the idea of ever getting another cat because my Cat Cat was such a queen. There will be no replacing her, but starting a new chapter is definitely on the table. She came to me by accident, when I needed her most and I hope soon I can pass on some of the legacy to another rescue.

We are hoping to stay within local rescues, looking preferably for a younger ginger male between 6 - 24 months old, (big enough to smack Rue if he's being an idiot, Cat Cat put up with a lot of crap from him...), opposite end of the spectrum from Cat Cat...but who knows, we might end up with something totally out of left field.

Overall today was better, but there is a hollow place in our household right now, no dent on the back of the couch, no litter scattered on the floor...little things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13892074_10209692976070718_3365271916900125430_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	23864

Cat Cat, Queen of Everything 6/10/2019
    Last edited by Darkkin; June 12th, 2019 at 04:50 AM.

So sorry, Darkkin.
    Her: (trying to be profound) If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
    Me: (Hungover and really not in the mood) The only tool I have is a screwdriver, so every problem looks like I can solve it by screwing.
    Her: ....