So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 550

Submit your creative works to Flashes >>HERE<< .

Page 550 of 551 FirstFirst ... 50350450500540542543544545546547548549550551 LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,500 of 5510

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

Attended a "Novel Structure" workshop. I made some more contacts and had several great discussions alongside the lecture given by the organizer. A very fun night and one that has made me feel great!
    ďAs far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being,"

-Carl Jung

That moment you try to make a sarcastic joke at your own expense (as a white Episcopalian) and get flagged by Facebook as using hate speech.

Here is the horrifying post.

Guess we white folks can't make fun of ourselves anymore. :O

Well, crap. As I've been editing my short story, it morphed into a novella. And now, the damnable thing said, "Oh no! I wanna' be a NOVEL!" WHAAAA!!!

Okay: Tantrum over. Back to the grindstone!
    Her: Have YOU ever hit a deer?
    Me: What, you mean like, in the FACE?
    Her: ....WHAT is the MATTER with you?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Green Shield View Post
    That moment you try to make a sarcastic joke at your own expense (as a white Episcopalian) and get flagged by Facebook as using hate speech.
    "Guess we white folks can't make fun of ourselves anymore." :O
    Yeah, as every woman, PoC, or Q type online has learned, you can't say anything even remotely bad about cishet white men or you will get instantly flagged. We have to invent new words to talk about them to speak in even slightly less than glowing terms. It's messed up. I've had posts pulled down for less pretty often.

Death threats, assertions of inherent criminality and inferiority, and graphic suggestions of stochastic violence against people who aren't purely able, neurotypical, dyallocishet yt xian males is perfectly fine, however. I get people making death threats or comments about how I am a criminal pervert on a regular basis. Facebook never takes action against those when I report them.

You get used to it... :p

Husband had to get up early to drive 50 miles each way to a training at 8.

1. The training started at 9, not 8.
    2. They had to cancel the class.

...ergh.

awesome presentations!
    even got a nasa sticker!
    sat with french researcher
    that turned out to be
    the keynote speaker!
    AND
    found the mtn dew on the first try!
    yeah, worth waiting a year....
    ;D

Got my entry for the Fiction Competition in on time. Phew! I cut it close.
    ďAs far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being,"

-Carl Jung

After work, I hiked a trail loop for the second time since before the rainy season. That's twice in a week.

It was totally grown over with mustard plants. Painted ladies were in the thousands. I think this year is the most painted ladies I've ever seen.

The trail goes up, and up, and then a little down, and then up a lot and across. On top of some cliffs there's an abandoned swimming pool that only got built to the gunite stage, and the kids have tagged it up, completely. Every year it becomes a frog pond. I always stop there and watch the little swimming things. First time, this year, someone put in mosquito fish.

Nearby, there's some crows - four of them - maybe they're ravens, since I know ravens only like it out in the wild- that have been there both times; two over at some cliffs, and two in a nearby oak. They caw and fly away when they see me.

I felt good good, so I ran all the way down. I had to be careful- because it's been so long- that my knees didn't buckle. The trail's really steep, and rutted, and the plants grab at your legs. One little mistake, and you'd go down.

It was cold out - a storm coming- but I wasn't cold. I made it home before dark.

Kevin, that whole experience sounds like it would make a great short story!

-Carl Jung

Quote Originally Posted by Bard_Daniel View Post
    Kevin, that whole experience sounds like it would make a great short story!
    A very short story

Had a book request that short circuited my card catalogue of a brain today...Customer was serious when they asked, 'Do you carry Common Sense for Dummies or books like it?' First book that leaps to mind was Thomas Paine's Common Sense, nope. They wanted Common Sense for Dummies...not books on history. They got huffy when I honestly did not know how to respond. Where would one even start to look for a book like that? College survivial guides? Disaster prep and survivial guides? I could not even ballpark this request and that is saying something. I can almost always come up with a suggestion or a similarly congruent title. This left me flabbergasted, bemused, and finally vastly entertained once my brain came back on line.