So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 523

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

A couple of days ago I noticed in our high street a shop that sells aids for the elderly and infirm with a Christmas window display showing Father Christmas on a mobility scooter. I felt that this image of Father Christmas as an incontinent old man on his last legs wasn't quite in keeping with the spirit of the season even if Christmas may not be all that it once was. No, we all know the man better as a fast-moving fly-by-night trader who is never around when you want to complain about his goods or exchange them. Today we went to a garden centre and saw that his grotto was still there and charging admission but he wasn't. Typical!
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Driving into London up the A22 there is a mobility scooter trader who displays in the manner of a car forecourt. Up front, pride of place, is an all black and chrome number with separate mudguards, chrome spoke wheels, cow horn handlebars, multiple spot lights and a wrap round seat with a high, upholstered back.

I felt that this image of Father Christmas as an incontinent old man on his last legs

This is more than a bit of a supposition, the only qualification really necessary for using a mobility scooter is lack of mobility, unless you are faking lack of mobility, that is a whole different kettle of fish, so, assassins and smugglers aside, I see no reason why one should not be continent, young, female, with a long life ahead of you, and still need a mobility scooter. Not that I am suggesting Father Christmas should be portrayed by a young woman, but after the build up and the sort of night he has on the 24th I can well imagine him exploring the toy fairs in those vast halls at Olympia, Birmingham and Manchester; or wherever; on a mobility scooter. Something comfortable, a high seat with a quilted lining, but you wouldn't want it to look like a sleigh, attract the wrong sort of attention, maybe black and chrome, you could let someone use it as a display once you got back home.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

Made it out to the range for the first time in quite a while. I thought I'd have the place to myself (Wednesday morning and all), but a bunch of others showed up. After practicing with my "pocket pistol", I walked over to the rifle side.
    Well, al the 100 yard slots were full. I didn't bring my long-range rifle, but I figured God wanted me to push myself today. I set-up on the 200 yard line.
    I had just made a minor modification to my SKS rifle, and I wanted to make sure it was still accurate. Well, the stubby, intermediate rounds (7.62x39) performed well. A few adjustments to the windage (left to right), and I was able to shoot a respectably tight group. My other rifle I just brought along to test some custom loads (not my best rifle). The 7.62x54 usually shoots flames out of the barrel, but one of my customs rounds barely glowed. 'Guess I can up the powder on that one.
    I know most of you don't get it. I work on cars, I build computers and yes, I'm a "gun nut". But really, all three are very similar. I adjust a carburetor, over-clock a CPU or sight-in a new optic. It's about performance, and pushing limits. And, since that rifle didn't blow up in my face with the new ammo, it was a good day.

"Now let's all agree, never to be creative again."

Today is a stinky day. I have left a year-long relationship and I'm feeling a bit low. It's almost 10 and I'm still in my pj's, anticipating a shower soon, if I can work up the energy. The guy filled up so many pages of my life, it's hard to imagine how to fill them now. By this time on any other day we had already texted each other, shared a couple of cups of coffee, along with what our plans were for the day. We ate dinner together every single night; I cooked. We said grace before meals; went to Mass on Sundays.

Shall I write more then? To fill the time? I feel a sad story coming on ....
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Shall I write more then? To fill the time? I feel a sad story coming on ....
    I feel the urge to say something witty, or at least comforting.
    Instead, I'll just encourage your impulse to write. It doesn't "fix" anything, but it does make the hurt more bearable.

Felt like a hug. Thanks Winston.
    When the night has come
    And the land is dark
    And the moon is the only light we'll see
    No, I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
    Just as long as you stand by me.

After writing today, I fried up four pounds of bacon.
    Why?
    Because why cook only two days worth, when it's just as easy to fry up four days worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    After writing today, I fried up four pounds of bacon.
    Why?
    Because why cook only two days worth, when it's just as easy to fry up four days worth?
    The missus is veggie, but when she was away I fancied a bit of bacon, didn't bother though because the supermarket only sold a pack of eight rashers and I wanted two for the week. Watch eating all that processed meat, tasty, but it is not good for you.
    Visit my website to read and connect to my 'soundcloud', where you can listen to stories songs and more
    Hidden Content

A thread of links useful to writers wishing to learn
    Piglet's picks. Hidden Content

An abnormally normal day. I started out in the dark this morning, I had a full day of forwarding wood today
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7182268.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	23177

It was 16 degrees here this morning, after warming up the machine I headed into the woods, lights on ready to get some wood hauled. I noticed the temp gauge climbing as I entered the woods. I climbed out to figure out what was going on, antifreeze was running out of the engine compartment. I left it in the woods and head for the pickup to get tools. No big deal just a loose hose clamp but I now had to run to town to get 6 gallons of antifreeze to put back in it. I make multiple trips to get it all back there. Problem solved I then put on the first load. I have about 15 loads to get out today, it will be late, but I should be able to do it. On my way out I have to stratal the ruts from last weeks warm weather, they are just about 3 feet wide and 3 feet deep, you can almost swim in some spots or hold canoe races in the parallel ruts. The machine is struggling to make it, it does not make sense. I know I am heavy about 35,000 pounds counting logs and machine weight. I get out to look, flat tire. I unload the logs and drive the machine out, rolling the tire off the rim. I pick it up with the loader and put it on the bunk. I will have to take off the tire chains so they can remount the tire. They just fixed this tire 3 days ago. $500 for the service call. I make the call to get them to come out, they don't have the right size tube in stock...it will be tomorrow. I spend the rest of the day cutting trees and bunching them with the dozer.

Just another normal day. I sometimes wish my days were not so normal.
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Shot several zeiths today. It was raining so that was more than usual. One was coming through the window boards in the living room so I whacked its fingers off with a cleaver. What a mess. Anyway, then I woke up and went to work. Nothing much happened there.