So... How'd Your Day Go? - Page 508

Thread: So... How'd Your Day Go?

I think I decided to give up writing my WIP altogether today. That time-travelling muse who dictates what I write (a nicely ambiguous use of the verb there) is reticent about it, which is portentous. However, I have just this moment resolved yet another detail about my original novel from 2011 as compensation. My muse is always willing to offer explanations apparently so long as they don't violate the time directive.

The climax of my novel involved the time capsule (which is never called a time machine in the story) being marooned outside of time for 999 hours. This was evidently inspired by my angel and I being delayed for nine hours when our original flight home from holiday in 2017 was cancelled (the full details being very complicated). I presumed that I extended the nine hours to 999 for impact in the story because nine or even ninety-nine wouldn't have been dramatic enough, but now I have realised that this was actually a bit of mathematical juggling on my part. Although the threat was a delay of 999 hours the crew actually managed to return home after about two weeks, which is almost exactly a third of 999 hours. Well, in another sense a third of three nines is just one nine, isn't it? QED

Oh, I am just so pedantic.
    'Sharing an experience creates a reality.' Create a new reality today.
    'There has to be some give and take.' If I can take my time I'm willing to give it.
    'The most difficult criticism that a writer has to comprehend is silence.' So speak up.

Thompsen twin ( just one of them), B-52s, and Boy George last night at the Greek. Rain was threatened, but did not come. The gals ( wifey & friend) loved it, sang and danced their asses off. I sort of wriggled, erm, rhythmically, best I could- only took two beers to loosen me. I had a good time. Boy opened with a Bowie song. Miss that guy. Good on you, George. That was a good way to start it.
    Home by 11. Okay, 11:30. Work at 6 am. It was worth it.

The Awkward Moment when a blind friend of yours subscribes to your YouTube channel and you realize that you only have gaming, but no voice-over explaining what the game's about and have to awkwardly both thank them and explain to them your shit videos.

Green Shield... it could be worse; you could be into silent films.

Me, I got a text from my next door neighbor's wife, at 7:00am, tellin' me that he was up in his attic runnin' wires, and would I please go over there and make sure he didn't kill himself. ( He had just blundered into a live 220ac line a day before and had fireballs all but shooting out of his eyes and ears. )

I answered back: I'll go, but no promises.

And now, thanks to a day with him ( 3 actually ) I'm too damned tired to move.

This retirement crap is exhausting sometimes....

G.D.

P.S. The neighbor lived... at least 'til tomorrow. ( His in-laws came in this evening. )
    Leave it be and it won't bother you.
    Screw with it, and it'll eat you alive.

Soon enough, nations will play second fiddle to corporations.

"The world is not what we wish it to be; it is what it is."
    "Freedom is the value, not protection."

Have people just gotten dumber?

For the second time in less than two weeks, one of the workers from next door have walked over to my house, and right through my back gate, disregarding the big black and orange sign that says "Beware of Dog".

Fortunately, I got to 'em before my dogs did.

It's a sad state of affairs that my dogs run the risk of a ten day quarantine because some asshole hasn't got the sense to read a damn sign and heed what it says.

Oh, and don't even bother putting up a "No Trespassing" sign. It might as well say "Welcome, come on in."

G.D.
    ( Who's contemplating decorating his gate with human skulls. )
    ( Edit: Not "thinking about", have done so. )
    I was going to post a pic, but for some reason it won't let me. Ah well, I'll try again later.
    Last edited by Guard Dog; October 8th, 2018 at 02:41 AM.

Got the day off work, thought I'd take a couple of rifles to the range. It turns out the range will be closed 3 weeks for renovation.
    That's it. Our next house will be on 10 acres, and I will have my own range.

So I had some time to prep for my WIP, my "barracks" project. Got about 20 characters, and at least half of them are deep enough to write-up well. I think I have a decent framework in place to organize the character study.

My latest batch of brew is fermenting well. Just gotta leave it alone. I do have to pull my jerky off of the dehydrator. One tray is specifically for my daughter, to comply with her new diet (her marinade had no brown sugar or beer in it). I like makin' stuff.

"Now let's all agree, never to be creative again."

After a long hot day, Indian summer they call it, I am less polite. Soaked in sweat, tired and just in a hurry to get home so I can take a shower, eat something, then head to the mill to work another few hours. I sit at the light in our little town waiting for it to change. I look at him, instantly I am pissed. He is a bum. My age hasn't worked in the last twenty years. He smokes a cigarette and sips on a can of beer. Watching the world drive by, he does not seem to have a care in the world.

I can not imagine having the time to sit and just drink beer and watch the world go by. I could not ever bring myself to spend almost ten dollars on a pack of cigarettes, I feel guilty buying a candy bar.

I am jealous of him and mad at him all at the same time.

I decide that when I get home I am going to have a beer, something I never do, but after looking at him I feel I am entitled. No cold beer in the fridge, just warm ones in the pantry. A deep sigh of disgust, I think my heart may have just been broken. I stick a few in the fridge to get them cold. I know later they will taste good...but not the same. I could have just sat on the porch overlooking the creek and felt that cool tingling feeling as it slid down my throat. I could have ,for just a moment been must like that bum sitting on his porch... I will continue to dream.
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"

Plastic... Live a little. Send me your address and I'll send you a snicker bar. Heck, I'll send you a dozen. I think they're .85 over at the big box.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticweld View Post
    ...I could have just sat on the porch overlooking the creek and felt that cool tingling feeling as it slid down my throat. I could have ,for just a moment been must like that bum sitting on his porch... I will continue to dream.

Interesting paradox here, this compared to your comments on the "Inability to Daydream" thread.

I guess the real world ain't all it needs to be, sometimes.

G.D.

GD I suffer from the Puritan Work Ethic. I have been rich and poor and then rich again during the course of my life so I take nothing for granted when it comes to money. I am well off so don't even really need to work yet could never bring myself not to. I do enjoy what I do, I have multiple small businesses yet have never lost site of the fact that pennies matter. I do have some very expensive hobbies, I race motorcycles and cars, so it is not all drudgery, but still feel guilty about the money that is spent no matter how small or large the amount. Personal flaw I guess.

I am sure of this. My day at work was far more rewarding than the bum's day of day dreaming watching the world go bye. He may have envisioned things...I did things Always better!

Kevin I appreciate your generosity. I would love to take you to dinner sometime, my sister lives in Huntington Beach and I plan on visiting her this coming spring, plus you are also welcome here anytime. I have enjoyed your stories over the years and would love to meet in person, you will be expected to provide the candy bars for desert though :} but dinner is on me
    God hates a coward Revelation 21:8

“Good writin' ain't necessarily good readin'.”

Hidden Content ,

To encourage and facilitate "me"